PDA

View Full Version : How good has the support been for you on these forums?

aysiu
August 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, I know some people like to rub it in that these polls are utterly unscientific, but I think they're fun and give a hint of what's out there, even if they are a bit skewed.

Certainly, I concede that this poll will be skewed toward success stories, as those who have not succeeded are more likely to leave than to stick around and answer polls in the Ubuntu Cafe.

Nevertheless, I just want to know--of the regulars (or the newcomers hanging out here anyway), how good has the support been on these forums?

Note: I realize multiple-choice polls allow people to pick options that are more suitable to real life, but they also become even more meaningless than regular polls because the %ages don't even add up to 100%. Please pick the option that applies most closely to your situation. Thanks.

rattlerviper
August 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
better support here than the 1-800 number I use to call for support;)

RavenOfOdin
August 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'll take option #3 for $1000, Alex!

fuscia
August 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM
it's been great. i've always been treated with patience by everyone who has, or has tried to help me. i think when you're getting help for free, you're getting help from people who take pride in doing so.

Rackerz
August 18th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I took option 3 also.

Yossarian
August 18th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I said four which is the wrong option, in retrospect. I'd say support is very good, though.

I only posted one question, an ATI driver question. It didn't get answered, but I solved my own problem and posted the solution within a day or so. Hard to say if that's bad or not, as the question wasn't out for long enough.

However, I've had several problems answered by finding someone who had the same problem and had already posted and received an answer. It would be hard to exagerate how useful these forums are.

cstudent
August 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I've asked very few questions. Most of the time I find what I'm looking for by searching the forum or by googling for it.

christhemonkey
August 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Iv had a couple of things that have not been answered, but generally, i get over it :D

And when/if i do solve my problem i try and post the solution.

Other than a couple of times, every answer has been there to help me :)

Brunellus
August 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
option 3. overall, what you'd expect from a community of this size and average technical skill.

Dinerty
August 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
If it was'nt for the help from people within these forums and the "search" function, I honestly dont think I would of stayed with Ubuntu :)

Thanks all !

MaximB
August 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
If it was'nt for the help from people within these forums and the "search" function, I honestly dont think I would of stayed with Ubuntu :)

Thanks all !

same here...I've choose option 3 cuz it's impossible to answer ALL my questions ;)
thouse forums and this community was THE factor.
only b/z of this I've stayed with ubuntu.
otherwise I'm afraid to say...I would shamfully go back to...you know it's name...:redface:

avtolle
August 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I chose the last option, because I have fortunately had no issues that I couldn't find addressed by searching the Forums or by Googling. With that said, I'm sure my day is coming....:p

EdThaSlayer
August 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Around 85% of my answers have been answered...they are very helpful here :rolleyes:

The Noble
August 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I really don't know if I stuck around for only the forums or the actual operating system. I tried both Mandrake(mandriva) and Fedora before I used Ubuntu. I still don't remember how I found Ubuntu. Very sad, though believable because I was only 14 or 15 at the time. God, my memory sucks.

I voted 2, for you guys have been amazing, in all senses of the word. It is awesome to see the users of the operating system grow dynamically as itself. It almost brings a tear to my eye to see us evolving into something so great.

Bezmotivnik
August 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'd say about a quarter to a third of my tech questions got answered here. About like every other kind of tech forum I frequent.

Maybe this is because I can figure out most routine stuff by myself, so by the time I have to ask about something I've probably uncovered a serious problem for which there isn't an easy fix. :-k

der_joachim
August 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Most of the questions I had, were already somewhere on the forum, so I never really had to start a new thread. The answers to the other questions were elsewhere on the web. The ratio of UF/Google is unknown to me, so I did not vote.

There's always some unsolved issues, but these are no show stoppers.

magnoliablossom
August 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I think the forums are great and most of the time my questions get answered quickly. Once in a while I have to go to another forum with my problem but that's not very often. The only complaint I have about the forums is sometimes I get the feeling that long time users of Linux/Ubuntu lose patience with the little peons trying to learn. I believe sometimes they forget that they too weren't born knowing it and that they had to learn it as well. Sometimes the replies border on rude.

Klaidas
August 19th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I choose #2
Overall, these forums are GREAT, and I get the best support for Linux/Computers here so far.

Besides, some people prefer ubuntu over Suse because of Ubuntu's community (us!) :)