PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Preparation for installing 16.04 on a new Dell 15 3xxx

humanx
April 21st, 2018, 08:21 PM
I'm a relatively new 16.04 LTS Ubuntu user (8 mos). Just got a new Dell 15-3565 with an SSD and 8GB of ram. It has an AMD processor w/on board graphics. Windows 10 currently installed and made current - but no data downloaded and I intend to wipe Win 10. I have a 16.04 LTS image on USB that I used on this machine (T500 Lenovo) but this machine is starting to show its age (10+ years). I'm thinking - back up Windows 10 first (recovery disc). Boot Dell into bios, change boot priority, to USB, then reboot and install 16.04. The USB image should be Ok as I have used it before. Update 16.04. I'll move selected data over to the Dell later with a Seagate pocket drive.

Is there anything else I need to know/do, especially regarding the AMD chipset? Oh, and how large is a Win 10 recovery file with no user data?
Thank you.

TheFu
April 22nd, 2018, 12:53 AM
I would pull the factory SSD and set it aside until the warranty is up. Buy a new SSD, install it and put Ubuntu on there. If you need any warranty work, best to have that untouched SSD to put back.

If you can, I'd load 18.04 in a few weeks rather than 16.04 at this point. Or load 16.04 expecting to wipe it in2 weeks for 18.04.

I would use the boot selection menu, not bother to go into the BIOS. Be certain to use 16.04.5 if that is available. Otherwise, use the most recent 16.04.x release.

I wouldn't touch any Seagate storage devices. I've been burned too many times. When the last one failed, I had a little party since there wasn't the constant - will it fail today - thoughts running through my brain.

As for specific issues - google the dell model and ubuntu to see what others have run into. Nobody cares about this as much as you. Do the research.

humanx
April 23rd, 2018, 05:52 AM
I would pull the factory SSD and set it aside until the warranty is up. Buy a new SSD, install it and put Ubuntu on there. If you need any warranty work, best to have that untouched SSD to put back.

If you can, I'd load 18.04 in a few weeks rather than 16.04 at this point. Or load 16.04 expecting to wipe it in2 weeks for 18.04.

I would use the boot selection menu, not bother to go into the BIOS. Be certain to use 16.04.5 if that is available. Otherwise, use the most recent 16.04.x release.

I wouldn't touch any Seagate storage devices. I've been burned too many times. When the last one failed, I had a little party since there wasn't the constant - will it fail today - thoughts running through my brain.

As for specific issues - google the dell model and ubuntu to see what others have run into. Nobody cares about this as much as you. Do the research.

The factory drive is out and a new SSD in the Dell. RAM doubled to 8GB. Everything works fine in Win 10 Home. Already registered it w/Dell and M$. Warranty is not that worry some for me. However, I did take your last suggestion and found that this model is "Ubuntu Certified." Nice to know, and gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling. Also am taking your advice on waiting (on an install) for the final release of 18.04 LTS, which I believe will be on April 28th.(?). In the interim I will most likely use the Win 10 set up to torrent the 18.04 LTS, and to image that on a USB. Fortunately, I have had no problems with my Seagate Free Agent.

I believe that TheFu has answered my questions has given good advice on my posting. Please mark at "Solved." Thank you!

TheFu
April 23rd, 2018, 11:42 AM
Glad it was helpful. YOU should mark the thread as solved - Thread Tools button at the top. That helps the community.

humanx
April 25th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Done. Thank you for your help!