PDA

View Full Version : Can Caja be made aDefault FileBrowser on Ubuntu FlashbackDesktop

ubix
April 21st, 2018, 07:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to set Caja as default File Editor on Ubuntu 16.04 Clasic Gnome Flashback Desktop. I know this would work in Ubuntu MATE Desktop, but I do not want to install, nor run Ubuntu MATE Desktop.

So far I made Caja my File Manager, however, Ubuntu GNOME Flashback Desktop is still using Nautilus to manage folder icons on the Desktop, which broke regular file handling on desktop, like copying and pasting files to and from desktop folders or between Caja and Nautilus file browsers. I would like to disable Nautilus, as the File Manager all together, short of un-installing it. Occasionally, I'd still like to be able to have access to Nautilus by choosing a file browser of my choice, for instance, when I right-click on a folder icon, via "Open With" menu option on desktop.

Also there are times when I'd like to swap Nautilus and Caja as desktop File browsers, by either modifying ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, or by running exo-preferred-applications command from terminal, or perhaps doing something else I haven't discovered and/or tried yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions? [unnecessary content removed]

kerry_s
April 21st, 2018, 08:39 AM
Does anybody have any suggestions? [unnecessary content removed]

ssh, it's true. careful there watching.

kerry_s
April 21st, 2018, 08:51 AM
okay, i got to know why?

there the exact same file manager, caja is a nautilus fork to work on mate desktop. so why bother? i can understand if it was a different file manager, maybe a lighter 1, but why the same file manager under a different name?