PDA

View Full Version : Do I lose any new features if I upgrade instead of reinstall?

orthocube
April 21st, 2018, 06:17 AM
I have 17.10 installed, and I was thinking if I will get different results if I either upgrade or reinstall 18.04. The release notes for 18.04 says that there are some new things that has changed between 17.10 and 18.04, not just new version of software. If I just upgrade, will I get those changes also? Or do I have to reinstall to get those changes?

Thanks!

jimmy-frydkaer
April 21st, 2018, 06:23 AM
If you reinstall 18.04 you'll lose your settings and start from scratch - If you upgrade to 18.04 you'll keep your current settings. Upgrade can go wrong therefore it is always a good idea to make a clean install.

QIII
April 21st, 2018, 06:56 AM
If you reinstall 18.04 you'll lose your settings and start from scratch - If you upgrade to 18.04 you'll keep your current settings. Upgrade can go wrong therefore it is always a good idea to make a clean install.

That's not entirely true.

If the OP has a separate /home partition, it can be preserved in a re-installation -- keeping all user-specific settings.

This is what I have done for years. It typically takes no more than 30 minutes to reinstall and have everything set up as I had things before. There are some other system files I preserve by making copies in my home directory and replacing them when I have reinstalled. fstab is a perfect example.