PDA

View Full Version : a.out

Jonas_Henricsson
August 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I wrote a program in emacs and then compiled it using g++. The result is a.out. According to the instructions for a lab I'm doing, I'm supposed to be able to run the a.out file by typing a.out. I only get the answer "Command not found".

What do I need to do? Thank you for any help!

/Jonas

gerbman
August 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM
The command would be "./a.out", not "a.out"...the system needs to know where to find your program ("./" tells it to look in the current directory).

waldschm
August 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
First, make sure you are in the correct directory with the executable a.out by doing an ls -l. If you are, check the permissions that showed up to make sure you are allowed to execute the file. If you only see r's or w's, you need to make the file executable by typing:
chmod +x a.out

Then type
./a.out

Give this a try and see if it works.

Jonas_Henricsson
August 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Yes!

./a.out works excellently! May the sun shine over you and may beautiful women massage your feet!

/Jonas

gerbman
August 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM
May the sun shine over you and may beautiful women massage your feet!Haha. It's cloudy and I am in an engineering building (hint hint, no women). Thanks anyway :)

IYY
August 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
The reason that you have to specify the directory (./) is that the current directory is not a part of your path by default. To add it:

PATH=$PATH:.

gerbman
August 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
The reason that you have to specify the directory (./) is that the current directory is not a part of your path by default. To add it:

PATH=$PATH:.Good point, but you might want to put "PATH=$PATH:." in your ~/.bashrc file unless you want to do it every time you open a terminal.

wmcbrine
August 20th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Bear in mind that "." is left out of the default path for a reason. However, it's probably not nearly as much of a security risk at the end of the path as it is at the beginning (where it is, implicitly, in Windows).

gerbman
August 20th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Bear in mind that "." is left out of the default path for a reason. However, it's probably not nearly as much of a security risk at the end of the path as it is at the beginning (where it is, implicitly, in Windows).Good point - hadn't thought about the security implications.