PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why no ability to place application launchers on desktop

joverstreet1
April 16th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Can anyone explain to me why the more recent versions of Ubuntu no longer have or
allow the ability to add application and/or website launchers (what MS world calls shortcuts) to the desktop ?

This is one of the features that I especially liked about the older versions of Ubuntu,
just can not understand why it is no longer available.

Thanks.

cruzer001
April 16th, 2018, 07:19 PM
You have to turn it on in GnomeTweaks

yancek
April 16th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Which version release of Ubuntu are you using and what have you done to try to create your Desktop shortcut? I still use 16.04 and it's no problem.

joverstreet1
April 16th, 2018, 08:27 PM
You have to turn it on in GnomeTweaks

This says "show icons". Are you sure that is the same thing as creating a launcher (shortcut) ?

Thanks.

joverstreet1
April 16th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Which version release of Ubuntu are you using and what have you done to try to create your Desktop shortcut? I still use 16.04 and it's no problem.

To the best of my recall the last version of Ubuntu that I used that would allow the creation of a desktop launcher / shortcut, it was done by right-hand clicking on an empty space
on the desktop and a sub-menu was opened, one function being "create launcher".

I don't remember which version was the last to do this but it seems to me that it has been several versions back.

Thanks.

kerry_s
April 16th, 2018, 08:59 PM
the program that use to do that "gnome-desktop-item-edit" was part of gnome panel.
you can still manually create it though. so your next ? will be where did the new file go?

touch "New File" ~/Templates
will give you new documents-> new file back

for *.desktop files put this in it & fill out.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=
Comment=
Icon=
Exec=
Categories=GNOME;

cruzer001
April 16th, 2018, 10:33 PM
This says "show icons". Are you sure that is the same thing as creating a launcher (shortcut) ?

I went to /usr/share/applications and drag to desktop.