PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot find ubuntu in boot menu after installation

ptzheng
April 14th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Hello community:D
I haved installed Ubuntu 16.04 desktop version for my school's server by USB devices. During installation, I selected the first option: erase the disk and install ubuntu, because i just need one system. But after installtion and restarting the server, i could not find ubuntu in the boot menu, i haved no way to enter the ubuntu system i installed. I have tired to use boot-repair, but it didn't work. In addition, one strange thing is that the system in live CD(USB) could not connect to network.
I have got stuck in this problem for a long time. Could anyone give me some advice? Thanks.279292279293279294

dino99
April 14th, 2018, 05:09 PM
/dev/sda1 is a FAT partition, and the boot screenshot is the windows one: so you have not formated your hdd. Maybe the partition is an hidden one, some brand do but i does not know what Dell do.
Linux system need EXT4 format partition, not FAT.

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-Linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-16-04-lts

yancek
April 14th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Your screenshots show a FAT32 500MB partition which is probably an EFI partition then you have the Linux extr4 partition and swap. Not enough info so since you already have the boot repair script, run it again and instead of trying to repair, select the option to Create BootInfo summary and post a link to the output here. That will give us some useful information and someone should be able to help.

ptzheng
April 15th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Your screenshots show a FAT32 500MB partition which is probably an EFI partition then you have the Linux extr4 partition and swap. Not enough info so since you already have the boot repair script, run it again and instead of trying to repair, select the option to Create BootInfo summary and post a link to the output here. That will give us some useful information and someone should be able to help.

Thanks for your advice and here is my bootinfo summary(sdb is my USB device):

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector
2048 of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at
this location.
=> No known boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: FAT32
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
/EFI/ubuntu/MokManager.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sdb4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: SYSLINUX 6.02 2013-10-13... :..(:,:0:4:8:....D:H:L:[.T:[.\:`:d:[.l:p:t:x:|:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:...........
Boot sector info: Syslinux looks at sector 1456080 of /dev/sdb4 for its
second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the /isolinux
directory. No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /casper/vmlinuz.efi
/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi

oldfred
April 15th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Please use code tags if posting longer text or terminal output.
You can easily add code tags with Forum's advanced editor and # icon.

Generally the Summary Report is too large to directly post anyway. Better to just post link it gives.

But what you have posted shows grub in MBR for BIOS boot and in UEFI for UEFI boot?
Which do you want, and then boot Live installed in that boot mode and run Boot-Repair to totally reinstall grub.
If you want BIOS boot, you must first have a bios_grub partition for grub to install. You have ESP - efi system partition for UEFI boot.