PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu install on P50 failed

isagarran2
April 12th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Hello
I was previously on another laptop on Ubuntu 14.04 and I was very happy to be on Linux.

I got a new computer , a Lenovo P50 with Windows 10 installed. I is supposed to support Linux also. Perhpas not all functionnality but I don't care. If Ubuntu runs on it , it is sufficient.

My problem is quite basic. I put the DVD to boot and install Ubuntu 16.04. I choosed install gnome option. At the end, I am in a live session user without Ubuntu installed.

Could you give me some advices ? What did I do wrongly ?

I set in the bios Secure boot to disabled. I let UEFI only set as if i set another option, I'm no longer prompt with the option "install gnome"

Thanks for your help. I'll appreciate.

Regards.Isagaran

yancek
April 12th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I would suggest you start with the official Ubuntu documentation at the link below on dual booting Ubuntu with windows 10 UEFI. Almost any pre-installed windows 10 will be UEFI so you need to boot and install Ubuntu UEFI also and you need to also make sure that hibernation is totally off on windows.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

mörgæs
April 13th, 2018, 06:33 AM
In addition to the advice above I suggest that you try the soon to be released 18.04 in stead of 16.04.

isagarran2
April 13th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the advices. Alas, I've no choice on the version. My company certified 16.04 and not yet 18.04. I'l have a look on above link. It sounds good.
I'll let you know.
Regards.

isagarran2
April 13th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Hello
I think I missed something. I follow the link advices

Use a 64bit disk of Ubuntu. OK
Secure Boot "Off". OK
In your firmware, disable QuickBoot/FastBoot , set from "Quick" to "Diagnostics" OK
disable Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). No SRT Option OK
You might want to use an EFI-only image to avoid troubles with mistakenly booting the image and installing Ubuntu in BIOS mode. Not sure to understand. I have only a prebuilt DVD Ubuntu 16.04
Use a supported version of Ubuntu. Support for UEFI appeared in 11.10, but has become more reliable in next versions. Support for UEFI SecureBoot appeared in 12.10 and 12.04.2. "16.04" OK
Set up your firmware (BIOS) to boot the disk in UEFI mode (see the "Identifying if the computer boots the HDD in UEFI mode" paragraph below)
UEFI/Legacy Boot set on "UEFI Only" OK
CSM support "Yes" OK

Then I saved Bios and reboot first then I reboot on DVD
I got this panel
file:///home/jps/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/Photosandroid/New%20folder/DSC_0001.JPG
I choosed option 2 : Install Ubuntu Gnome
I didn't get usual panels for installation (for example, choose the disk, and so on)
I got this panel
file:///home/jps/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/Photosandroid/New%20folder/DSC_0003.JPG
With
"Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS ubuntu-gnome tty1"
"Ubuntu-gnome login"

So for me it confirms me that I'm in UEFI mode installation

then the desktop appears. But I'm always in a session live. Ubuntu is not installed at all !!!
file:///home/jps/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements/Photosandroid/New%20folder/DSC_0005.JPG

I used sudo gparted
/dev/sda1 EFI system partition Fat32 system 260MB boot, hiden, esp
/dev/sda2 Microsoft reserver partition unknown 16MB msftres
/dev/sda3 basic data partition ntfs Windows 73,26GB msftdata
/dev/sda5 MyLinuxpartition ext4 MyLinux 402,44GB
/dev/sda4 ntfs WinRE_DRV 1GB hidden,diag

So I always need help. If you have some ideas, let me know.

Regards.jps

dino99
April 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM
when the installer (ubiquity) will ask you, select 'something else' to set your own install path choice : /dev/sda5, set it ext4;
via gparted you might want a separate /swap partition (~10 Gb) and maybe also a /home partition for your data (not mixing with ntfs ones.

isagarran2
April 13th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the answer. the problem is that i'm not requested to Install Ubuntu somewhere. No question at all.
desktop comes up without any question. I'm in the live session neither in the process installation.
regards.Isagarran

isagarran2
April 14th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Hello
I've some news after multiple try, I viewed that my installation failed on "creating user".
So I changed, user, password, partition format but always on "creating user"
Looking at the log, I saw issue described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1208832
Now, I've no idea on how I have to go further. If you have any idea

Thanks

isagarran2
April 14th, 2018, 03:19 PM
good url is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1208832

isagarran2
April 14th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Hello,
Found on google similar issue on custom ISO. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1718317
Even if I set a ten digits passwords (mixed case, one digit number) it wasn't sufficient. I set eleven digits, mixed case, two numbers, two special characters and installation completed
Thanks for your support.
Isagarran