PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade path from 16.04 to 18.04?

operator-error
April 12th, 2018, 05:26 AM
When 18.04 is finalized, will there be a simply upgrade path from 16.04 to 18.04 (by simple, I mean through the Update Manager or through the terminal)? My 16.04 installation is only about 3 weeks old and I haven't done anything special to it. Doing a "clean" install is no problem, since my /home is on it's own partition, but I figured why go that route if it's basically not really necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SlidingHorn
April 12th, 2018, 05:29 AM
When 18.04 is finalized, will there be a simply upgrade path from 16.04 to 18.04 (by simple, I mean through the Update Manager or through the terminal)? My 16.04 installation is only about 3 weeks old and I haven't done anything special to it. Doing a "clean" install is no problem, since my /home is on it's own partition, but I figured why go that route if it's basically not really necessary.

You will most likely receive a desktop notification which will ask if you want to upgrade. If you either don't get this, or if you decide to hold off until a later time, just do the following in a terminal:

sudo do-release-upgrade

And that should do it

kansasnoob
April 12th, 2018, 08:37 AM
You'll be notified of the upgrade being available (via update-manager) when the first point release (18.04.1) is released in about August. Even then remember that 16.04 is supported until April 2021 so i wouldn't rush .................. if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

logix2
April 12th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Before upgrading to a newer Ubuntu release, make sure all the available updates are installed.

To upgrade using a GUI, press Alt + F2 and type:

update-manager -cd

To upgrade from the command line you can use:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

If it still doesn't work, you can force Ubuntu to check for a newer version by running the following command:

/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk

From here. (https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/04/how-to-upgrade-to-ubuntu-1804-lts.html)

operator-error
April 16th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

missmoondog
April 16th, 2018, 06:19 PM
You'll be notified of the upgrade being available (via update-manager) when the first point release (18.04.1) is released in about August. Even then remember that 16.04 is supported until April 2021 so i wouldn't rush .................. if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

version 18.04 is due for release 26th April: Stable Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

almost along the same line as OP but wondering if i have it set in repository where it says to check for updates daily and stuff, i have it set to never check as i check daily manually. will software updater still be able to notify me of new version? i update using synaptic and not software updater. will the new version just show up as a ton of updates without really "notifying" me?

darn. didn't notice this was marked as solved. should ask in a new topic then, i guess.