PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Setup Samba Over A Linux Network.

Vulc
October 28th, 2004, 12:45 AM
hey guys, I wanted to share a folder on my laptop with my desktop (both linux) how do I do it?

jdong
October 28th, 2004, 01:47 AM
the most typical way is by configuring a program called samba. It's a Windows File Sharing server/client for Linux. There are plenty of guides on Google about how to do this.

I recommend that you use SSH. Though technically not a file sharing protocol, it's easy to set up, plus very simple to extend over a larger network. It's the best solution when both systems run Linux. Plus, traffic is encrypted, giving you an extra sense of security, especially if there's untrusted people on your network (or you're going through the internet!)

First, use apt-get install ssh to install the SSH server. Do this on both systems.

Open up a file browser (using any folder on the Computer menu). Go to File, select Connect to Server. Choose SSH as the protocol, fill in appropriate login names and such.

FLeiXiuS
October 28th, 2004, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't agree with SSH to share files. Thats not the way you would want to go. I would reccomend installing samba / swat. (SWAT is optional)

First lets begin by setting up SAMBA!

Installing...

sudo apt-get install samba

Configuring /etc/smb.conf
We will be creating a whole new samba config because we are the guru's and it improves validity. :-P.

1. Rename /etc/smb.conf to /etc/smb.conf.old
2. Open /etc/smb.conf with your favorite text editor!

; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
share modes = yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0750

[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space
path = /tmp
read only = no
public = yes

NOTE: If your Samba server has more than one ethernet interface, the smbd may bind to the wrong one. If so, you can force it to bind to the intended one by adding a line that looks like this to the [global] section of /etc/smb.conf:

"interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24"
Replace the IP above with the interfaces IP address. Notice the /24 at the end. This is the subnet default for a CLASS-C network. It may vary depending on your network.

To share a directory with the public, create a clone of the [tmp] section above by adding something like this to smb.conf:

[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /home/public
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

To make the above directory readable by the public, but only writable by people in group ubuntu, modify the entry like this:

[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /home/public
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
write list = @ubuntu

After this I would reccommend setting up samba for encrypted passwords.
In the [global] section of /etc/smb.conf, add the following lines:

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

NOTE: If your clients and server are using encrypted passwords, you will not be able to browse the available shares on the server until an initial connection has been made with the appropriate authentication.

This should be all, save and exit.

Starting SMB Daemons

sudo /usr/sbin/smbd -D && /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

Accessing Shared Folder on Another Linux Box
To see which shares are available on a given host, run:

/usr/bin/smbclient -L host

Example:
/usr/bin/smbclient -L fleixius

Where 'host' is replaced with the hostname of the samba server on the network. Unless the SMB server has no security configured, it will ask you for a password. This should print back a service page. Where services are what the host can share to you.

To view the shared folder 'public' on machine 'fleixius' (//fleixius/public) you will need to:

/usr/bin/smbclient service <password>

Example:
/usr/bin/smbclient ////fleixius/public mypwd

Because of shell restrictions you have to escape the backslashes.

Now once your in the 'smb: \' console. You can type 'h' for a help menu.

Mounting a Shared Drive
Using the examples above, lets say we want to mount a folder called "Ubuntu" shared on "fleixius" to a directory of "/home/Ubuntu" on the local box. The typical mount command would be as following:

smbmount "\\\\fleixius\\Ubuntu" -U rtg2t -c 'mount /home/Ubuntu -u 1000 -g 1000'

Notice -u and -g. UID and GID. Replace those with your values also.

I hope this helps and solves the problems with samba. Please send feedback!

Vulc
October 28th, 2004, 05:19 AM
k I followed the guide as written but I get this error

vulcanon@Vulcari:/etc/samba $ sudo /usr/bin/smbclient -L Vulcari
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

gave the correct password too

strips
October 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Why use samba in a pure linux relation?

If you don't need user auth, NFS is the solution.

It's much easyer than samba and you don't get the overhead as with SSH filetransfer.

Server:
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/server.html

Client:
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html

Regards
Stian H. Larssen

strips
October 28th, 2004, 08:30 AM
k I followed the guide as written but I get this error
vulcanon@Vulcari:/etc/samba $ sudo /usr/bin/smbclient -L Vulcari
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
gave the correct password too

Hi.

Did you add the samba password on the server for the correct user?

smbpasswd

FLeiXiuS
October 28th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, if a password was set, then enter the password, if not then just push enter.

emperor
October 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I recommend "nfs" for share folders between native linux machines. Samba works great for Linux to windows. The "nfs" sharers must edit the "/etc/exports" file and the Share-e must mount the drive as defined in the "sharers" export file. You'll need to install "nfs" file utilities on each Linux machine too!

If your UID is the same on both machines, you can read/write with no problem. In a multi-user environment you may not want everyone to be the same UID number (1000). In that case every user would be set to a different UID (1000, 1001, ...) on his machine and on the server side; in other words, a master list of username to UID would be used throughout the network. Every user would have a unique UID.

I used to try and use SAMBA for both Linux and Windows machines, but there are too many "gottchas" with the "rights" thing with Samba and a Linux client.http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_wall.gifI spent too much time "trying" to force SAMBA on linux when "nfs" just works!http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

jdong
October 29th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Funny thing; I've never had issues with Linux-to-Linux SAMBA. Especially with cifs, which supports POSIX extensions on top of smbfs! YAY