PDA

View Full Version : Menus for ubuntu flexible

jonnykickinbut
April 10th, 2018, 05:27 AM
I run a Mate session/environment. The problem I have is whatever configuration tools I'(graphical menu editors or menu manager) they all seem to lack the ability to interface with the basic structure of the ubuntu menu.

Meaning the menus titled Applications/Places/System, and what I want to know is, which tool I could use that would allow me to change the order, replace, rearrange or redesign these menus for my panel.

Since I am new to ubuntu, I would prefer a ready to go solution for this if one is available, otherwise I will be constantly reviewing the menu files themselves for mistakes (that sounds worse definitely :p)

The actual change I had in mind is something that can sort of almost be done already with the options in the Tweak (to hide 2 out of the 3 menus thus creating a single button menu, like MSwindows has as an example menu structure I like for some reason ):P

vanadium
April 10th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Menu items in principle are placed automatically in categories according to the information in its .desktop file provided by the software maker. Alacarte is a graphical tool that allows you edit the menu, hide items, rearrange items, etc.

Indeed, in Mate, could switch to a more modern menu that also allows for search and launch, rather than the classical (and allegedly perhaps outdated) triple menu. The next Ubuntu Mate edition in fact will make the switch.

kerry_s
April 10th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I run a Mate session/environment. The problem I have is whatever configuration tools I'(graphical menu editors or menu manager) they all seem to lack the ability to interface with the basic structure of the ubuntu menu.

Meaning the menus titled Applications/Places/System, and what I want to know is, which tool I could use that would allow me to change the order, replace, rearrange or redesign these menus for my panel.

Since I am new to ubuntu, I would prefer a ready to go solution for this if one is available, otherwise I will be constantly reviewing the menu files themselves for mistakes (that sounds worse definitely :p)

The actual change I had in mind is something that can sort of almost be done already with the options in the Tweak (to hide 2 out of the 3 menus thus creating a single button menu, like MSwindows has as an example menu structure I like for some reason ):P

mate has several menus you can use on the panel. just right click the panel-> add to panel
i usually put them all on at once to see which 1 i want to use, then remove the others.

jonnykickinbut
April 12th, 2018, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses, I did also find the Desktop User Guide to be a helpful way of learning about this information, and have since added my the Main Menu to my panel, which is not the same thing as the Menu Bar (as vanadium points out).

Thanks again, and for now this seems like an adequate answer to my problems, at least when in combination with the Menu Editor that is somewhat necessary as well.