PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft Evil?

Blondie
August 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Interesting opinion (http://infomyth.com/Lore/MicrosoftIsEvil/microsoft.htm)

bluenova
August 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM
This is a website about Ubuntu not Microsoft. Why do people keep posting these things here? I'm bored of hearing about Microsoft all the time, I thought I got rid of them when I moved to Linux.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
...and in my opinion, correct. "Evil" is not a very useful way to describe corporate behavior, and geeks in general have a very bad habit of ascribing "evil" where inquisitors used to find "heresy."

aysiu
August 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
This is a website about Ubuntu not Microsoft. Why do people keep posting these things here? I'm bored of hearing about Microsoft all the time, I thought I got rid of them when I moved to Linux.
Certainly this topic has been covered before, but I'm confused as to why people don't know the reason that others are talking about Windows all the time here:

1. Most Ubuntu users were Windows users (or still are) at one time or another

2. Ubuntu's bug #1 is that Windows has most of the desktop market share. Presumeably, Ubuntu is designed to "fix" that bug.

3. People who use computers--particularly those who are involved enough to join a discussion on a forum--generally like to talk about computer-related things, and Micrsoft/Windows is one of those things. You'll notice people also talk about Apple/Mac and other Linux distros and FreeBSD...

Bragador
August 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
It's only evil as long as you don't own shares...

:D

elamericano
August 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evil, pure and simple. They were predatory in ways that no other company on that list has been. The analysis is pretty lightweight too, and does not qualify as a worthy preservation of the history at all.

In the end it is the consumer abuse that is most egregious. FUD, product activation (and reactivation), absurd licensing terms, strategies to eliminate consumer choice, and obsoleting our hardware in the name of DRM, f-ing with computing standards in order to break interoperability, and much more are all anti-consumer. This happened to a lesser extent before the monopoly, but now it's worse.

RavenOfOdin
August 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Unethical? Yes. Unobservant of free-market practice? Yes. Devoid of good business standards? Yes.

However, "evil". . .evil is a word I wouldn't use to describe them, and instead reserve for true pimples on the *** of the human species like Jeff Dahmer.

B0rsuk
August 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
For some cold facts, check the link in my signature.

fuscia
August 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
double post. i suck at the internet.

fuscia
August 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
i'm surprised this hasn't come up before.

edit: oops! i said that the last time this came up.](*,)

slimdog360
August 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.4bitterguys.com/rants/evil/gates.jpg
muahahahhaa

EdThaSlayer
August 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Well...the bug Microsoft should be cured as soon as possible...but then again...there are too many people out there that use Microsoft...i wouldnt say they are evil...and i wouldnt say they are good...
Hope you understand what i said...

EdThaSlayer
August 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.4bitterguys.com/rants/evil/gates.jpg
muahahahhaa

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
lol!!!

TravisNewman
August 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Microsoft isn't evil. Heck, I don't even believe in the concept of evil. There's good and bad, wrong and right, but pure evil? I think it's just a construct invented long, long ago to try and convince others that what they were doing was wrong and they should get on the bandwagon. Furthermore, evil can't really be used to describe a company can it?

That said, Microsoft uses monopolistic business practices, restrictive licensing, very closed source, stifling of the market, basically I think they're a terrible company that I don't want to support, but they certainly aren't evil.

Emerzen
August 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I agree the history of the PC is full of corporate greed, narrow thinking and a lack-of-ubuntu, from many areas, not just MS. I'm glad they blew open the PC. I'm sad at everything they've done since then.

Corporations can be evil. By law, corporations are treated as individuals (in the US anyways) and have the rights of individuals. So they can act in evil ways. This IS the major problem with corp's.. The problem is the divide between the human individuals who work for them, and the actions that the profit-motive drives in the corporate-body, which by law must act to create a profit for it's shareholders.

user1397
August 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Microsoft isn't evil. Heck, I don't even believe in the concept of evil. There's good and bad, wrong and right, but pure evil? I think it's just a construct invented long, long ago to try and convince others that what they were doing was wrong and they should get on the bandwagon. Furthermore, evil can't really be used to describe a company can it?

That said, Microsoft uses monopolistic business practices, restrictive licensing, very closed source, stifling of the market, basically I think they're a terrible company that I don't want to support, but they certainly aren't evil.so you don't believe in evil at all? what about if a guy came along and he raped and tortured and killed everyone you cared about, and you would have to witness it (the evil guy would strap you down on a chair and make you watch all of it)

now would you believe in evil?

Tomosaur
August 19th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evil is undefinable, since all perceptions of an action/event are subjective to the perceivers own personality. Evil implies the existance of a fundamental 'Good', which in turn implies a correct belief system, which I don't subscribe to.

Derek Djons
August 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
All kitchen made reviews and many GNU/Linux vs. Microsoft essay's are based on a lot of opinions and plain factors.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Companies have to cope with a lot. More than you think. Normal users just see the end-result, listen to keynotes and cling on to anti-posts.

In the end (some people have to grow over it or admit it) it's all about what you prefer and what you like. That's it! I mean jeez, Volkswagen may offer me their most exclusive model with thousands of extra's but I still would like a Ferrari (if I had the money :P)

-Phi-
August 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
“Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.”
- Linus Torvalds

:p

- Phi

TravisNewman
August 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
so you don't believe in evil at all? what about if a guy came along and he raped and tortured and killed everyone you cared about, and you would have to witness it (the evil guy would strap you down on a chair and make you watch all of it)

now would you believe in evil?
Well, no, not really. The only person who would do that has some major mental issues. i think he'd be sick in the head, but not evil. It's not his fault that his brain doesn't work properly.

Most people in history that we think of as evil were doing what they thought was right. You can't claim someone is evil for doing what they think is right. Perhaps they're very wrong, and definitely need to be stopped at all costs, but not evil.

zubrug
August 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I enjoyed window's when I used it, I did not know about linux.
Microsoft is a corporate gaint, no different to the rest of the giants who tread on what is in there way.
"Evil" does'nt quite fit.

user1397
August 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Well, no, not really. The only person who would do that has some major mental issues. i think he'd be sick in the head, but not evil. It's not his fault that his brain doesn't work properly.

Most people in history that we think of as evil were doing what they thought was right. You can't claim someone is evil for doing what they think is right. Perhaps they're very wrong, and definitely need to be stopped at all costs, but not evil.well i guess you're right. only a mentally deceased person could conjure up something that sick. in the end, people just do things if they think they're doing the right thing. my bad.

RavenOfOdin
August 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evil is undefinable, since all perceptions of an action/event are subjective to the perceivers own personality. Evil implies the existance of a fundamental 'Good', which in turn implies a correct belief system, which I don't subscribe to.

This kind of questionable moral stance is appalling.

I dare you to say that same thing whenever you meet whatever sick souls invented the D&E.

Tomosaur
August 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry, my 'questionable' moral stance is 'appalling'? Quite a bizarre thing to say, my friend.

Anyway, all my post means is that evil is totally subjective. There are people out there whose religion and beliefs dictate that you must be killed if you don't want to be like them. They don't think they're evil, but they think we (all of us outside their belief system) are. I fail to see how evil can be defined one way or the other. I believe in right and wrong. I hate to see suffering, and I don't go around murdering people who I don't like. I don't perceive my actions as 'good', I perceive them as 'right'. Only an observer can say whether what I do/have done is 'good'. Therefore, both good and evil are undefinable, because they are entirely subjective. If I break up a fight, do I help one man, or hinder another? Both parties will view me differently depending on their beliefs, attitudes, whatever. It's not my place to say what they feel, only what I feel. Good and Evil were created to tell people what to feel, not to do what is right.