PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Black overlay screen - apparent video problem

boz_1812
April 9th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Lubuntu 16.04 LTS 32bit
Lenovo IBM ThinkPad T60
Centrino Duo CPU
2GB RAM

When I boot, the desktop displays a black window overlay and there is no opportunity for keyboard entry, or accessing the system at all. Although the shutdown icon can be seen, it doesn't work. The problem first appeared after running some updates. I checked the HDD for errors and tested the RAM, detecting a faulty 2GB stick, so removed it and thought I may have found the problem.
I then did a clean install of Lubuntu and all seemed OK. At a prompt from software updater I chose to download and install updates and this is when the problem recurred, see attached photos.
When I switch to the console, I can only read the last line on the screen (the terminal prompt), the rest is gibberish.
I notice a similar problem was logged three weeks ago (HP MINI 2140 video problem Ubuntu 16.04.4 & Xubuntu 17.10.1) and is marked as solved. I attempted the fix referred to but got nowhere.
I tried adding the grub-cutomizer ppa, but it stops and presumably waits for input. I tried enter and y, but they didn't work. As I only see the teminal prompt as the last line, I can't see what's happening.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob