PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Bootable SD to boot UBUNTU on Mac Sierra

pka3
April 4th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Hello all,

I am in need of serious help. I have ran into some difficulty lately trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 onto a bootable SD card in order to boot on Mac High Sierra.

I tried many different softwares (Unetbootin, rEFit, Etcher, Mac Linux USB loader. All claiming to help but non have helped thus far.

Each time I try I run into this same problem on my mac. I have attached a copy of the code I receive when I attempt to boot it up.

TheFu
April 5th, 2018, 01:07 PM
If you have an ISO, you can just use dd. OSX uses different options than Linux, but it is the same tool. Think the only different is lack of support for K/M size specs.
General form:

sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/path/to/SD-card/device bs=4096

Don't get those backwards and if you specify the wrong device, wiping OSX is possible. Be very careful.

The command I'd use on my Linux system is:

sudo dd if=/tmp/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

If anything automatically mounts storage on the Mac, you'll need to umount it before removing it. You can also google for this answer if mine isn't clear. I looked it up last week - easily found.

pka3
April 5th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. By the way, I am a bit of a noob. I hope I can get this right. Thanks again.

If you have an ISO, you can just use dd. OSX uses different options than Linux, but it is the same tool. Think the only different is lack of support for K/M size specs.
General form:

sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/path/to/SD-card/device bs=4096

Don't get those backwards and if you specify the wrong device, wiping OSX is possible. Be very careful.

The command I'd use on my Linux system is:

sudo dd if=/tmp/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M

If anything automatically mounts storage on the Mac, you'll need to umount it before removing it. You can also google for this answer if mine isn't clear. I looked it up last week - easily found.