PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cinnamon & MATE: Resize and Move window don't work

kazakore
March 31st, 2018, 09:54 AM
As per my other thread I am trying out a couple of other DEs to see whether I want to stay with XFCE when I feel its time to upgrade to 18.04. Primarily looking at Cinnamon and MATE as have heard good things about both on the whole.

I have come across something that seems a little weird. Both of these work perfectly fine in XFCE and the menus say it should be the same for both Cinnamon and MATE but they just don't work.
Alt+F8 (or Alt+Space then R) to Resize window.
Alt+F9 (or Alt+Space then M) to Move window.

Both of them move the cursor to the centre of the window in question, change its symbol to the drag hand type one, but don't perform the desired operation.

XFCE still works with these functions while having Cinnamon and MATE installed alongside it. The same happens if I just do Alt+Space and then select Move or Resize from the drop-down menu in the window in question.

Why would this fairly basic functionality not work??

kazakore
March 31st, 2018, 03:34 PM
OK it does work in MATE but rather differently to XFCE. I have now removed Cinnamon but I am guessing that one is the same.

After hitting the keyboard shortcut if you click a button it cancels out of the mode (IE says you've finished.)
First time I move the mouse nothing happens. But second time I move the mouse it works (as long as I haven't clicked.) Think that must be a little bug but just about usable.....
The Resize is also slightly annoying that if you move horizontally or vertically, rather than diagonally, you resize in that direction. I can imagine to some people this is very much appreciated though...