PDA

View Full Version : Check package installation status

sdbhabal
March 30th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Hello Experts,

I wanted to confirm 'icedtea-plugin' is installed in my Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.
Is there any way to check this?

Regards
SDB.

ajgreeny
March 30th, 2018, 12:25 PM
The terminal command
dpkg -l icedtea* will tell you.

For example this is what I see

dpkg -l icedtea*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-========================-=================-=================-================================================== ===
ii icedtea-8-plugin:amd64 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 amd64 web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to ex
un icedtea-gcjwebplugin <none> <none> (no description available)
ii icedtea-netx:amd64 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 amd64 NetX - implementation of the Java Network Launching P
ii icedtea-netx-common 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 all NetX - implementation of the Java Network Launching P
un icedtea-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)
un icedtea6-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)

The un at the start of the lines of output shows it is uninstalled.
If you have any icedtea package installed it will show ii in place of the un as mine does.

I can not see what this query has to do with the thread title so I have edited that accordingly.

oldos2er
March 30th, 2018, 03:30 PM
You can also use
apt policy icedtea-plugin

sdbhabal
April 2nd, 2018, 05:09 AM
In my case below is the output.

sudo dpkg -l icedtea*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==================================-======================-======================-================================================== ========================
un icedtea-6-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)
un icedtea-7-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)
ii icedtea-8-plugin:amd64 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 amd64 web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
un icedtea-9-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)
un icedtea-gcjwebplugin <none> <none> (no description available)
ii icedtea-netx:amd64 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 amd64 NetX - implementation of the Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP)
ii icedtea-netx-common 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 all NetX - implementation of the Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP)
ii icedtea-plugin 1.6.2-3ubuntu1 all web browser plugin to execute Java applets (dependency package)
un icedtea6-plugin <none> <none> (no description available)

It means I have 'icedtea-8-plugin' correctly installed in my desktop, right?

ajgreeny
April 2nd, 2018, 09:13 AM
You have four icedtea-plugin packages installed; they are the four listed with lines starting with ii.

I am not sure these days what exactly the plugins are useful for as Java is used less and less in browsers as far as I'm aware.

sdbhabal
April 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
I required this plugin to access my firewall through browser.
If I have installed this plugin in my desktop, then why I am not able to see this plugin in my browser plugin list.
Please find attached screenshot of the same.

ajgreeny
April 2nd, 2018, 07:22 PM
I believe the java-plugin has now become useless in Firefox versions after 52 so you may be totally out of luck.

I do not know if this is a Linux only property of FF as I don't use anything other than Linux; perhaps it works in Windows?

sdbhabal
April 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
So, I was trying to access my firewall using browser, for that I needed this plugin to be integrated with browser.
For windows, I have firewall client software which works perfectly fine.

ajgreeny
April 3rd, 2018, 10:37 AM
Sorry but I can't help you any more as I am out of my depth completely when discussing Java plugins, which with Firefox at least seem rather pointless.

I am not sure about the position if using chromium or Chrome as I seldom use the former and have never used Chrome.