PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best digital camera for €1000 ? ( lens inculeded )

PingunZ
August 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Well I'd like to start photographing. Since I'm a beginner ( no experience ) I'd like to hear your opinions.
What is the best Camera for €1000 ( same as 1000$ ;) )
I was thinking about the D70s but thats just cause I know someone with that camera.
So... tell me, what camera should I buy and why ?

Cheers.

fuscia
August 18th, 2006, 05:33 PM
whatever you get, make sure you get the densest picture possible (highest megapixels possible) and pick optical zoom over over digital zoom. i got my nikon coolpix5600 for $400. it's got 5.2 megapixels. it has a 4x optical zoom (and i don't know, or care how much digital zoom). the lens seems to be of the same quality as the nikkor film camera lenses.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM
sensor size (physically!) and noise is as important, sometimes more so, than simple pixel count. small, high-pixel-count sensors tend to be unacceptably noisy, I find. Not much fun.

I'm still of the school that hates zoom lenses. When buying zooms keep the following attributes in mind: sharp, fast, long zoom range, cheap. Pick three. Zooms are more complex, optically and mechanically, than equivalently-priced fixed-focal length lenses--they will be heavier, slower (smaller maximum apertures), and less sharp.

Any of the major DSLR makers will be a good choice, along with a 35mm f/2 lens.

I personally use a Pentax *istDS--I like Pentax gear, have always done, and it's a relatively easy camera to use with old manual-focus lenses (which is how I like to work).

(gee. reading my photographic preferences, it's not hard to see why I like Linux, too.)

PingunZ
August 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see links and comments :)
If you give some specs, make sure you explain them cause I'm really new to photography.

javierfh
August 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Hi,

i have got D70 and cant be happier.
Im not sure what are your needs.
I have got my D70 almost two years ago and i have had no problems with it.
When i bought it for me the only options were canon 300D and nikon D70, so what i did was to go to a shop and hold them both in my hands. I dont know about technical stuff..some people claims canon 350d its better than d70 but for me..feels like a toy in hands, different than d70 that feels like a robust thing :)
Now a days you can find many more models both from canon, nikon, pentax, sony and others and also more competitive prices.
As starter, i suggest you to buy one of them, dont be too ambitious and dont buy lenses right away. If you buy Nikon, the started kit, the 18-70 it is very good lens for the price, its a real bargain.

If you want links, go and check :

www.dpreview.com excellent link
http://www.steves-digicams.com/ also very good with comparatives too
and then if you go for nikon
www.bythom.com

and if you want more...feel free to ask :)

By the way. i use the D70 with ubuntu, without trouble :)

Javi

mips
August 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
What type of camera do you want, DSLR or Prosumer grade ala Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 / Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

Megapixel count is definately not the top priority especially in the prosumer grade cameras as noise, ISO levels are not that great.
With DSLR the main thing is to invest in good glass which could be expensive. Primes are better than zooms but you have to figure out if you want to buy 6 lenses vs say 3. Zooms I would stick with f2,8 or f2.8-f3.5

Nikon is bringing out the D80.

If I was you I would wait though and see what comes out of the Photokina show/exhibition in september.

There are also camera related sights like dpreview etc but be cautious as just with linux zealots you get canon/nikon/olympus/pentax zealots and they all believe their cameras are the best.

prizrak
August 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Canon Digital Rebel EOS gets very good reviews and was actually one of the products of the year on either PC Magazine or CNet (can't remember). I personally never used one but do hear good things. As far as price goes it's about $700 on www.etronics.com (it's a US site and I doubt they ship internationaly, just used it for price reference) so well within your price range.

fuscia
August 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
small, high-pixel-count sensors tend to be unacceptably noisy, I find. Not much fun.

noise?!? maybe if you're taking pictures of tigers in the wild, or trying to catch a cheating spouse, it would be a problem, but it's still less noise than an slr film camera. once you get the picture, just run like hell.

Senshi
August 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have this one. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007QKN22/sr=8-1/qid=1155929788/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5381997-2651057?ie=UTF8) It's the Canon Rebel XT, a DSLR. It's a great camera, but I don't really recommend it for an absolute beginner. If I were you I would get a nice small digital camera, like this one. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AYGDIO/sr=8-1/qid=1155930123/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5381997-2651057?ie=UTF8) Pick up a book on photography, learn how to use the camera. If you find that you are really into it, then consider buying a DSLR later on.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
noise?!? maybe if you're taking pictures of tigers in the wild, or trying to catch a cheating spouse, it would be a problem, but it's still less noise than an slr film camera. once you get the picture, just run like hell.
noise isn't trival to me, at least. I happen to like available light (or maybe "existing darkness") photography a great deal, and so sensor noise is a consideration.

Of course, if you're having fun, you can also use noise creatively. It's a lot like music--you can turn up the gain on your amplifiers, and that'll cause distortion, which may or may not what you want.

As far as "less noise than film," well, it's different. Film grain is a subjective thing, and different film and developer combinations do it differently. "real" silver halide grain may be gritty, but is a lot easier on the eyes than muddy, indistinct dye-cloud haze, which is what you get with colour emulsions. Digital sensor noise, though, tends to crop up where you want it least, in the shadow details.

Generally, I don't think there's any point in "prosumer" digicams with fixed zoom lenses and small sensors. The users who get these would be far better served with a "real" DSLR. Users who want reasonable quality in a pocketable size should be pointed towards the excellent, high-res (and very weatherproof) digital compacts now coming on the market.

slimdog360
August 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Im getting this one in a few months hopefully, fuji s5600 (aka s5200). Ive been reading about them and they look really good, though for the price you are willing to pay you could buy 2-3 of them.

slimdog360
August 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
noise isn't trival to me, at least. I happen to like available light (or maybe "existing darkness") photography a great deal, and so sensor noise is a consideration.

Of course, if you're having fun, you can also use noise creatively. It's a lot like music--you can turn up the gain on your amplifiers, and that'll cause distortion, which may or may not what you want.

As far as "less noise than film," well, it's different. Film grain is a subjective thing, and different film and developer combinations do it differently. "real" silver halide grain may be gritty, but is a lot easier on the eyes than muddy, indistinct dye-cloud haze, which is what you get with colour emulsions. Digital sensor noise, though, tends to crop up where you want it least, in the shadow details.

Generally, I don't think there's any point in "prosumer" digicams with fixed zoom lenses and small sensors. The users who get these would be far better served with a "real" DSLR. Users who want reasonable quality in a pocketable size should be pointed towards the excellent, high-res (and very weatherproof) digital compacts now coming on the market.

hahaha I think it was a joke talking about the actual noise that a camera makes when you click it.

PingunZ
August 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hey, I'm probably going for the Nikon Coolpix 8800.
Any comments ?

Cheers

Brunellus
August 24th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hey, I'm probably going for the Nikon Coolpix 8800.
Any comments ?

Cheers
why that, and not a proper DSLR?

red_Marvin
August 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I recently bought a Canon EOS 350d DSLR with a Sigma 18-50 1:2.8 EX Lens and couldn't be happier.
(Said camera house + Said lens + 2 1GB CF cards + 1 extra battery =14000 SEK ~€1400)
Maybe above your price range, you can get a better deal (<=€1000) if you buy the camera with the canon kit lens
(which isn't as good as the sigma, but cheaper:) and/or by from an internet store)
I really didn't like the size of the house when I first held it but it's an adaption thing. I've also read that canon cameras in general have relatively low noise, compared with other cameras.

And, yes, it works with linux :KS

PingunZ
August 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hmmm I was kinda confused with the Coolpix 8800.
I went too the shop and bought a Sony A100.
I made some shots :) And I they they look nice already.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4487/flowerds8.png

PingunZ
August 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM
And here is another nice one :
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5880/deskyfo5.png