PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for 18.04

derek_stewart2
March 25th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I'm currently running 16.04 on a dual-boot UEFI laptop with Windows 8.1. I shrank the C partition on Windows and installed Ubuntu in the free space. I'm looking to remove Windows altogether from the laptop and install 18.04 as the sole OS (once it's available.) Am I right in assuming when I come to do the install that the entire hard disk will be claimed when I opt for "Erase everything and install Ubuntu." I've read through the UEFI Wiki, but I'm a bit paranoid that I've overlooked something.

RobGoss
March 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I can't see any reason why it would not use the entire disk if you choose this option at installation

oldrocker99
March 26th, 2018, 12:23 AM
You might look up how to create a separate /home partition, which makes reinstalling a breeze. If you choose "Something Else" at the what-do-you-want screen, you can repartition a smallish parittion for /, and the rest as a separate partition for /home. I use a 64GB / partition, which leaves a lot of room for the /home folder, and I've not yet run out of space in the root.

Ask away if you have trouble doing this.

sudodus
March 26th, 2018, 08:14 AM
The following link may help you choose, if you want to participate in the development/testing or if you want a smooth ride,

Ubuntu Development version / How to participate (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1018033/ubuntu-development-version-how-to-participate/1018060#1018060)

As a matter of fact, if you want a really smooth ride, you should wait until July or August (2018 until Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS), when the first point release is available.

My experience from previous versions with long time support, LTS, is that the first point release is debugged and polished.