PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing (cut down) ubuntu 16.04 on system with very small SSD

Hodor
March 25th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I have an installation of Ubuntu 16.04 on a system (an odroid x2) with a very small SSD (less than 10 GB, an eMMC). The drive is nearly full. I have a spare 16 GB on an attached SDHC. How do I move some system folders to the SDHC to stop the eMMC getting full? Which should I move (the eMMC performs a lot better than the SDHC in terms of speed). Any guides on this?
Thanks very much for any help.

Impavidus
March 25th, 2018, 10:34 AM
How much do you want to move away from the SSD? The basic system should fit (just) in 10GB, provided you don't install too many applications. Then you can move /home (which has your documents) to the other drive. If that's not enough, /var and /usr are candidates to move, but that will hurt performance. It's probably best to move things while running a live session, but /home can be moved while running the installed system.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

Hodor
March 25th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Thanks Impavidus. I've noticed since posting this that the SSD should actually be larger, so I'll trying fixing that then hopefully moving the home directory will be all I need to do. Kind regards

mörgæs
March 25th, 2018, 12:24 PM
When you some day install 18.04 there will be an option to select a minimal system during the installation. You can also consider Xubuntu Core.

Moving /home is still a good idea, also when using the methods mentioned here.

Hodor
March 27th, 2018, 02:27 AM
Thanks morgaes - all fixed now, just had to enlarge the partition.

mörgæs
March 27th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Good, please mark the thread solved.