PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Budgie 16.04

O)9(yo&#
March 23rd, 2018, 04:26 AM
I have Ubuntu Budgie Remix 16.04. When will 18.04 come out, and can I upgrade to it?

Thanks,

Mike

Impavidus
March 23rd, 2018, 11:38 AM
18.04 will be released in April. The upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 will be offered when 18.04.1 gets released, which I think will be in July. But if you really wish, you can force the upgrade before that.

The upgrade will mostly keep the packages you already have, just replace them with new versions. Different flavours of Ubuntu only differ in the set of packages that gets installed by default, so the release upgrade won't move you from one flavour to another.

I have to add that I'm not so familiar with Ubuntu Budgie. Once the number of flavours became more than 4, I lost track.

Frogs Hair
March 23rd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Keep in mind Budgie Remix 16.04 is not an official flavor though it has upstream support.

O)9(yo&#
March 24th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Thanks Impavidus and Frog's Hair. I have always been a bit confused about how many versions of U-budgie there are. I read a review which said that there were two; one was official, and one was not. I went with Remix because I like LTS versions. I was planning to upgrade it once 18.04 came out. But I wasn't sure if it was the "official" one or not. In any case, I love it, it's right up there with U-Mate in my opinion.

I keep trying different Linuxes because I plan to try to transition my wife over to Linux in the next two years. Right now, the three candidates are U-Mate, U-Budgie and Linux Lite. It's a tough choice, as all three are excellent. I can't decide myself which one I like best. currently it's Budgie, but that's probably because it's the newest.

Frogs Hair
March 24th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Thanks Impavidus and Frog's Hair. I have always been a bit confused about how many versions of U-budgie there are. I read a review which said that there were two; one was official, and one was not. I went with Remix because I like LTS versions. I was planning to upgrade it once 18.04 came out. But I wasn't sure if it was the "official" one or not. In any case, I love it, it's right up there with U-Mate in my opinion.

I keep trying different Linuxes because I plan to try to transition my wife over to Linux in the next two years. Right now, the three candidates are U-Mate, U-Budgie and Linux Lite. It's a tough choice, as all three are excellent. I can't decide myself which one I like best. currently it's Budgie, but that's probably because it's the newest.

Remix is supported until 16.04 EOL. I'm not sure if the 18.04 upgrade will appear in the update manager as it would with Ubuntu Budgie . You can ask the question on U Budgie home page or IRC .

https://ubuntubudgie.org

O)9(yo&#
March 24th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks, that helps clarify things a bit. I may decide to just clean install U-Budgie 18.04, thus getting the latest official version.