PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it possible to update the HP BIOS from Ubuntu 17.10?

alejandrofig
March 11th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Hello, I bought my Pavilion 15 with windows 8 on it, after a while I decided to change to ubuntu. Lately I noticed that when I acces the bios with f10 and make changes (for example change the boot order) after restarting the bios doesn't save the changes. I also noticed that after I press Esc and f9 during the boot and choose some other device, like boot from usb drive or from dvd I always get and error (And I am shure both the usb drive and the dvd work fine). I have also try updating the bios Pressing the windows' key and the b key and starting the computer and waiting for the beep. but this doesn't work, I only get a black screen with the Caps Lock's key's led beeping. This s why I want to know if there is a procedure to update o repair the bios from the Ubuntu OS. Thanks for your time!!

tnthomas
March 11th, 2018, 07:04 PM
You might have to look on the HP support site, using your service tag to locate documentation for your laptop's specific hardware, and BIOS flash procedures.

wildmanne39
March 11th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Here is a wiki I found that talks about the process, I am uneasy about doing it without windows installed, I recommend reading the wiki very carefully before proceeding.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIOSUpdate

alejandrofig
March 14th, 2018, 06:25 PM
I also wrote in the HP support forum, and they told me that it is not possible to update the Bios if you don't have Windows install, because the app only runs with windows. It seems to me as a big fault!!!.I don't really need to update the Bios, my computer works fine, so I think I am going to do it in another moment (maybe in the future they design and app that works with buntu) Thank you for your time!!!