PDA

View Full Version : How to install Ubuntu 14.04 with having to mess with the inside of my Chromebook R11

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Well I'm sorta new and l I was wondering... Is there a way to fully remove ChromeOS and install Ubuntu 14.04? I would like to be able to play Steam games without any problems and I think the problem is that the Steam games I play keep crashing because it doesn't recognize which OS to play on. (I'm only 14, and I did all the research I could put I couldn't find anything. And I am typing this up on my Ubuntu 14.04 right now but only with dual-boot.) Plz help! :D
I meant WITHOUT having to mess with it!

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:39 PM
It might be a lot less messy with either 16.04 or 17.10...

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 04:43 PM
So what will I have to do? Do I need anything additional for my computer? Or can I just install it?

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Get another HDD, preferably larger than the original one and do a complete install of the later versions. Then get a USB adaptor and copy your valuable data from the old HD on the brand new installation. Less messy and in case of failure, you can still remount your old HDD and continue without harm. Used HDD don't cost an arm or a leg - often you can get them for free as some are glad to get rid of old hardware. get yourself a small set of fine mechanics' screwdrivers. that's precious thing to have in any case.
For a new installation, I am using REALLY old HDD, 2.5" IDE as USB drives. Last a lot longer than sticks and can be formatted more easy and more often. Works like a charm.

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
To do a full installation without backup is a thing I would never do. Should you do a full installation, all data will be removed from the HD and that would be less than desirable.

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I'm at school right now, so when I get home how could I get a HDD? Are you able to walk me through it? (also when I get home)

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:51 PM
The location of the HDD is mostly marked on the backside of your device. In most cases two tiny screws must be removed in order to pull off the cover, then you must look if the HDD has been fixed with more screws. Look at the end with which it sticks in the board, a lot of pins means IDE and two horizontal bars are S-ATA. Use these expressions to impress whomever you hope to canvas the replacements from:-)

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:54 PM
There are dealers who buy and sell used stuff, e-bay is another option, or the garbage. I have no idea if your municipality has a collection point for electronics, in case they have, you might hone your negotiation skills in order to talk one off.
Creativity beats money!
Where do you live? I am situated in Central Europe. Depends from your location, we are six to nine time zones apart.

coffeecat
March 8th, 2018, 04:56 PM
@strixtux, the OP has a Chromebook. It doesn't have a HDD, just a 32GB flash drive.

strixtux
March 8th, 2018, 04:57 PM
OUCH! I didn't know that, sorry.
Is it exchangeable?
I never mind learning.

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I have an Acer Chromebook R11 i think. And it's fine strixtux :D! I will of course have to do this when I get home so I just need to know how to fully run Ubuntu. Like I said I am typing this on my dual-boot ubuntu (14.04) & chromeos laptop.

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM
I have an Acer Chromebook R11 :D

coffeecat
March 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Is it exchangeable?

I very much doubt it. Battery, solid state drive, etc, are all probably hardwired in, I would bet. I have a similar Chromebook to the OP - not all the tea in China would induce me to remove the anonymous screws on the back cover.

@OP, Chromebooks are very low powered machines, excellent for running the very stripped down ChromeOS, but I wouldn't expect much more. I don't think Steam games would be a realistic proposition even with a lightweight version of Ubuntu, but see if someone with experience of installing a Linux distro on a Chrombook comments. I'm sorry I can't help further.

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Oh whoops sry I didnt know I had to switch pages so I posted twice my bad

capt.crust
March 8th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Ok. Thx for the help Admin. I already got one installed and it started up, but then crashes. I thought the problem was that it thought I had two OS's, but maybe not. I want to keep investigating just in case.