PDA

View Full Version : How to install Ubuntu on Acer Chromebook C720P

geovino
March 8th, 2018, 03:19 PM
What is the best way to install Ubuntu on a Acer Chromebook C720P? My concern is getting the touch screen and touch pad to work properly.
Thanks

TheFu
March 9th, 2018, 02:42 AM
Did you want to wipe ChromeOS completely or just use crouton?

It has been 4-5 yrs since I did it. The C720 is pretty easy. Don't remember and special/odd things necessary that aren't completely spelled out pretty much everywhere.
* remove the write-protect screw
* swap in a larger SSD (though 16G is fine too)
* Load the new firmware from a reputable source
* From this point, the c720 is basically a regular PC.
Be careful with the keyboard. They wear out. Mine has about 6 dead keys. Replacement is $90 in parts and a breaks all the plastic rivets if you don't buy the full assembly.

I don't remember the touchpad being anything difficult to get working. I never owned a touch screen. Not my thing.

I hope you have the 4G ram version. The 2950U CPU is very good, for what it does in this sort of system. Many newer chromebooks have slower CPUs.

I'd recommend avoiding a full Unity/KDE desktop, but any of the lighter DEs will work well. Mate, LXDE, XFCE are fine.

geovino
March 9th, 2018, 04:04 AM
Thanks. Could you install Lubuntu on it?
If not, I think since it only has 2 gb ram and 32 gb ssd I'd be better off picking up a used laptop at my local recycle shop and load Ubuntu on it.

TheFu
March 9th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I ran a light Ubuntu on mine for 18 months before the keyboard issues. It is a 2G RAM model too. I also used full drive encryption and ran virtual machines on it.