PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu can’t see PATA SSD during installation

mukesh11
March 5th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Lubuntu can not see hard drive of an old laptop
I am trying to install Lubuntu Version 16.10 (32 bit) on an ancient laptop Compaq Presario V2000
but not being successful.It has regular BIOS and not UEFI. The laptop specs are:

Compaq Presario V2000
Processor: AMD Turion 64 ML-34 (Lancaster, AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34)

Memory: 2 chips of 1GB each of DDR 300 (PC2700) SODIMM, Single Channel

Hard Drive: PATA (115GB SSD)

The laptop originally had a PATA hard drive which was replaced with the following PATA/SSD to increase speed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-PATA-IDE...AAAOSwu4BVmP~y

The laptop has Windows 7 (32bit) installed and it runs fine. I want to make it dual boot and install Lubnutu. The BIOS sees the hard drive, but when I put Lubuntu install disk it gives error.

The error I am getting is:

ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)

This probably points to the fact that Lubuntu can't see my hard drive. I tried all combinations of the 4-pin jumper settings of SSD but it didn't help. I tried running the following command from live Lubuntu DVD:

dmesg | grep sd

The command doesn't show sda or sdb either. FYI, this laptop has only one hard drive.

I can install Linux on USB stick when using the laptop but it refuses to install on hard drive.

Please post if you can help me install Lubuntu on this laptop.

wildmanne39
March 5th, 2018, 01:55 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! lubuntu 16.10 is no longer supported so you will not receive any updates, I recommend installing 16.04 then if you want you can upgrade directly to 18.04 when it comes out at the end of April.