PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded from 16.04 to 17.10 and xorg exits immediately

cpdondo
March 2nd, 2018, 08:32 PM
I seem to have gotten myself into a pickle.

I upgraded successfully from 16.04 to 17.10. No errors, no problems, except that as soon as any user tries to log in on the greeter, it flashes black for a few seconds and then returns back to the greeter.

I can log in on vt0 or vt1 with no problem, but if I try to run startx I get the same behvior; everything flashes black and then exits back to the terminal.

Xorg log files show no errors and no apparent reasons why this would be happening.

Any ideas?

cpdondo
March 2nd, 2018, 09:27 PM
So.. I did find that the i915 or intel Xorg driver is not loading. I've reinstalled the xorg-intel package. It's been so long and the system has been so reliable that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

cpdondo
March 3rd, 2018, 12:45 AM
Well, never figured out the problem, but I just emptied /etc/X11 and did a massive apt-get install --reinstall of everything xorg, and it worked. Must have been some cruft left over.

1fallen
March 3rd, 2018, 01:37 AM
Must have been some cruft left over.
+100
Glad you solved it && and thanks for posting your solution also. (This has always worked for me....knock on wood :) )