PDA

View Full Version : Attempting upgrade 14.04lts to 16.04lts

grey1beard
February 27th, 2018, 09:09 PM
I ran sudo apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade, followed by backing up my 14.04 lts, on my RM 32bit laptop, onto an external hdd.

Went to Applications/System Tools/Administration/Software Updater, and ran it.
After it told me that the system was up-to-date, I then hit the Upgrade button.
Gave my password to authenticate, the pop up disappeared and that was the last thing that happened !

I tried it twice, but with the same result, so here I am, with a request for help.

I prefer to go this route, but if I am strongly advised to go by another one, I will gladly follow instructions.

John

kerry_s
February 27th, 2018, 09:25 PM
sudo apt install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade

if you can a clean install is always the best way to go.

grey1beard
February 27th, 2018, 09:30 PM
sudo apt install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade

Is that what you are referring to as a clean install, or would that the route via a new OS on a disc ?
Thanks for the quick reply, by the way.
John

grey1beard
February 27th, 2018, 10:08 PM
update-manager-core is already the newest version.
update-manager-core set to manually installed.

john@john-RM:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
[sudo] password for john:
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
No new release found

So what next ?
John

kerry_s
February 27th, 2018, 10:17 PM
yeah i meant fresh from disc or usb

maybe it needs a flag, try " man do-release-upgrade " see what the manual says. not sure since i've always done fresh install.
i do remember seeing some using a " -d " for it. aka: sudo do-release-upgrade -d

grey1beard
February 27th, 2018, 10:48 PM
sudo do-release-upgrade -d still gives the same 'no new release found', and the man page doesn't show anything that might be useful.

mörgæs
February 27th, 2018, 11:01 PM
If you can live with 14.04 a few months more you can do a fresh install of 18.04, skipping 16.04.

grey1beard
February 27th, 2018, 11:07 PM
At least 16.04 lts has been around for 2 years, so should have any initial problems sorted !

ubfan1
February 28th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I second/third the new install route, but for the upgrade, take a look at "Software and Updates" under the "other software" tab, turn off any PPA sources (if set). Then run the update again and try the upgrade.

grey1beard
February 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Thanks ubfan1, when my current(v.slow) download finishes, I'll give that a try.
John
EDIT there are also two 'independent' in the list of other software. Should I leave those, or turn those off as well ?

ubfan1
February 28th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Uncheck everything under the "other software" tab, then after the upgrade, you may set them if you still need whatever they supply.

oldos2er
March 1st, 2018, 02:32 AM
yeah i meant fresh from disc or usb

maybe it needs a flag, try " man do-release-upgrade " see what the manual says. not sure since i've always done fresh install.
i do remember seeing some using a " -d " for it. aka: sudo do-release-upgrade -d

"-d" means upgrade to a development (that is, pre-release) version. You really should warn people about what exactly it does, since not everyone is ok with running alpha or beta pre-release versions, especially LTS users.

cruzer001
March 1st, 2018, 03:39 AM
To further add to oldos2er post:

If on 16.04 for the -d switch will upgrade to 18.04. The -d switch will do nothing when used on 14.04.

-d, --devel-release
If using the latest supported release, upgrade to the development release
The -d switch could be used to version upgrade a LTS before the first point release of the next LTS.

LTS systems are only automatically considered for an upgrade to the next LTS via do-release-upgrade with the first point release. So for example 14.04 will only upgrade once 16.04.1 is released. If you want to update before, e.g. on a subset of machines to evaluate the LTS upgrade for your setup the same argument as an upgrade to a dev release has to be used via the -d switch.
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/installing-upgrading.html

So just be careful how you use it.

grey1beard
March 1st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Thank you for the cautionary comments, good people.
I do have 16.04 on a usb stick ready for a fresh install, but have yet to take the step of re-ordering my boot up sequence.
One other thing that concerns me is the possible/probable/certain loss of all my 'remembered' passwords on various sites that I am frequently logging in to.
I did suffer the effects of this on a recent 'clear all history' action I took, and then regretted it !
Which of these options will likely occur ?
Many thanks for your help,
John

Irihapeti
March 1st, 2018, 10:00 AM
Sorry to be a bore, but please do a backup before you begin. Many have skipped this and regretted it. :cry:

You could keep your passwords in a password program such as keepass/keepassx. Even if you don't use it for everyday logging in, you at least have a record of them.

grey1beard
March 1st, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your input.
Yes, as noted in my OP, I have done a back up as the first step, onto an external hdd.
Not familiar with password keepers of any type.
Do I have to type then all in, or does the software automagically extract them with just a couple of clicks ?
John

Irihapeti
March 1st, 2018, 10:32 PM
I know that some of the password keepers allow you to import using a .csv file.

I'm less clear about how to get passwords out of Firefox or other browser; it's been a long time since I've saved passwords in a browser.