PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 16.04 LTS - how to open multiple XTerm/UXTerm windows

Xinghao_Chen
February 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
I have installed 16.04 LTS last weekend - I have been using release 14.0x for a couple of years.

With the 16.04 LTS, the XTerm only allows for one open window. Right-click on the XTerm icon (in the Launcher bar) gives 2 options: "XTERM" and "Unlock from Launcher." After one XTerm window is opened, right-click on the same XTerm icon gives the same 2 options but selecting option XTerm doesn't bring up a second XTerm window.

In release 14.0x, I use Terminal, with which right-click on the icon gives options including for a new window which is what I use for multiple terminal windows.

Please advise.

kerry_s
February 27th, 2018, 09:32 PM
xterm is old. you should have gnome-terminal

alt+f2 -> gnome-terminal
it's called terminal in the applications, i usually press the win/super key & start typing ter... & it shows up

i mostly use the drop down terminal extension/addon for gnome & the normal terminal for reading man/help pages

deadflowr
February 27th, 2018, 09:42 PM
You should be able to open multiple apps for anything by middle mouse button clicking on the app's launcher icon.

Xinghao_Chen
March 1st, 2018, 05:12 PM
The middle button on the mouse works on the XTerm icon.

Installed gnome-terminal, which is the same in the 14.04 LTS release that I like. The middle button doesn't work with the icon but the New Terminal option shows up in the right-click menu.

Thanks for the inputs.