PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on selecting a 27" 4k monitor

satimis
February 24th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 27 inch 4K flat monitor, for graphic editing and webpage building. I don't game.

I have been looking at following products;

1)
Dell P2715Q - LED monitor - 27"
spec
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

2)
Dell Ultrasharp U2715H
spec
http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/monitor-dell-ultrasharp-27-u2715h/spd/dell-u2715h

3)
LG 27UD68P-B
spec
https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-27ud68p-b-led-monitor-4k-27/specs/

4)
ASUS Designo MX27UC
spec
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MX27UC/

I have no pre-set budget.

I hesitate selecting Dell monitor because I have a 24" Dell flat monitor, resolution: 2560x1440. It blinks when there is pulse generated on the power cable. Its power cable is connected to a wall socket. It happens that its wall socket and the wall socket of my wine cabinet are on the same wall cable. When there is pulse generated on wall socket of the wine cabinet, e.g automatically switching on/off at preset temperature, the 24" Dell monitor will blinks. If plugging it to another wall socket not on the same wall cable, blinking disappears.

What is the advantage of Q-LED panel? It seems on curved monitor only, not on flat monitor?

Please shed me some advice. Other suggestion is also welcome

Thanks in advance

Regards
satimis

DuckHook
February 24th, 2018, 11:07 PM
I bought a 28" Asus 4K for my wife a few months ago. To be frank, 4K is kind of pointless in a 27/28" monitor. She has to run it at 125% magnification to read any output, which sort of defeats the purpose of 4K. I run a 40" 4K, which is already a bit small. The ideal monitor size for such high resolution, in my view, is anything from 43" to 49".

The foregoing is highly subjective, of course. Younger eyes may find that 4K is workable even on 27" monitors. I'm just giving you the findings from my own experiences.

As for the blinking, you really should do something about that. Modern equipment is far better at holding up to current drops than it was in my day, but such variable current is still bad for electronics and should be mitigated. Especially if your computer is plugged into the same circuit, then you should consider a good UPS that both smooths out current fluctuation and guards against spikes. Don't buy a cheap one: they have components that easily wear out with use. You want a well-built UPS that is overrated for your load. If you can take the wine cabinet off of this circuit, that would work too, and may be simpler and cheaper, though this solution is not always practical.

1fallen
February 24th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Nicely worded DuckHook!
And I 100% agree on the size of the Monitor being optimal. :)
And I also confess that Younger eyes may find that 4K is workable even on 27" monitors. :(

satimis
February 25th, 2018, 04:16 AM
I bought a 28" Asus 4K for my wife a few months ago. To be frank, 4K is kind of pointless in a 27/28" monitor. She has to run it at 125% magnification to read any output, which sort of defeats the purpose of 4K. I run a 40" 4K, which is already a bit small. The ideal monitor size for such high resolution, in my view, is anything from 43" to 49".

The foregoing is highly subjective, of course. Younger eyes may find that 4K is workable even on 27" monitors. I'm just giving you the findings from my own experiences.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I already have a 2K Dell monitor with resolution 2560x1440. If I expect to upgrade what kind of monitor shall I buy? 43" to 49" is too big for desktop monitor.

As for the blinking, you really should do something about that. Modern equipment is far better at holding up to current drops than it was in my day, but such variable current is still bad for electronics and should be mitigated. Especially if your computer is plugged into the same circuit, then you should consider a good UPS that both smooths out current fluctuation and guards against spikes. Don't buy a cheap one: they have components that easily wear out with use. You want a well-built UPS that is overrated for your load. If you can take the wine cabinet off of this circuit, that would work too, and may be simpler and cheaper, though this solution is not always practical.
The strange thing is that it only happens on the Dell monitor but not on my 24" Samsung monitor (1920x1080 resolution). I have tried connecting the Samsung monitor to the daily working desktop PC without blinking problem found.

An UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is NOT cheap. My desktop PC and wine cabinet are far away from another circuit. I need to use an extension socket but it is NOT convenient with the flexible cable laying on floor. It worked. I have tried it before.

My temporarily solution is to switch off the wine cabinet temporarily and switch it on again after a while when blinking occurred. The only problem is forgetting to switch it on later.

Regards
satimis

DuckHook
February 25th, 2018, 05:13 AM
…I already have a 2K Dell monitor with resolution 2560x1440. If I expect to upgrade what kind of monitor shall I buy? 43" to 49" is too big for desktop monitor.
Well, how do you find your 24" 2K monitor? Is text too small? For my older eyes, I find that 2K works best at 32". I've already stated that I even find 4K at 40" just a tad small, but it's okay and still comfortable for me without having to set a magnified display. I should note that my eyesight is about 18/20, so it isn't that bad yet either. If your eyesight is very sharp and you must have 4K, then I suggest minimum of 32". I should note that I love my 40" and wish I had a 43". I don't find it too big because I display my work in tiled windows. With two browsers, an email client, a text editor and a terminal session running, the 40 inches of space is used up. If you maximize everything and work on only one window at a time, then 40" is unnecessary. So it also depends on your work habits.

…An UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is NOT cheap…
While flickering can be caused by many things, you have already narrowed it down to the interference caused by your wine cabinet. Therefore, if you do not want a UPS, all you can do is experiment with different monitors to see which ones have sufficiently robust power supplies that they can bridge the current fluctuations. You do not have to invest in a UPS. It's just that you are risking power supply failure and component burnout in your computing equipment by hooking them up to a known fluctuating circuit. Only you can answer the questions: what is your risk tolerance and what are your new components worth to you to be protected? Also, dirty power input can cause all sorts of strange behaviour in CPUs and RAM. Such behaviour is very difficult to diagnose because most people do not question their power quality. If you are starting out with power that you already know to be variable, well, only you can decide whether you are prepared to put up with the potential consequences, which, it must be acknowledged, may turn out to be no big deal either.

satimis
February 25th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Well, how do you find your 24" 2K monitor? Is text too small? For my older eyes, I find that 2K works best at 32". .....

There is no problem viewing the 25" Dell monitor at 100% on browser, Firebox. But I find it a little bid small on viewing VM of VirtualBox and guest of KVM which causes me looking for a bigger size monitor. In my consideration a 30" monitor will be too big for me, too close to my eyes. Besides there is not sufficient space on my table for a 30" monitor and a 25" monitor.

Maybe to consider dual monitors, my table top having sufficient space for 2 25" monitors. Now I have a 25" Dell Monitor and a 24" Samsung Monitor connected to the daily working PC and a spare PC respectively. The only inconvenience is to remove/replug the cable when I need to use the spare PC.

Do I need to have two monitors of identical specification? Or just buy another 25" 2K monitor of any brand and a 2K graphic card for dual monitors to do the job?

While flickering can be caused by many things, you have already narrowed it down to the interference caused by your wine cabinet..... .
My temporary solution work for me. What I'm worrying is whether to ban Dell monitor in my new purchase for monitor? My 24" Samsung monitor doesn't have this problem.

Edit:
Can I just purchase a 2K graphic card for dual monitors for testing, using the 25" Dell monitor and th 24" Samsung monitor of different resolution?

Regards
satimis

HermanAB
February 26th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Clamp a couple more ferrites on the power leads of the wine rack and the monitor.

satimis
February 26th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Clamp a couple more ferrites on the power leads of the wine rack and the monitor.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Ferrite bead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

I'll look for Ferrite Core in next visit to Electric Component Shops

Regards
satimis

ferrite_core.png