PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] ubuntu-16.04.4 update / upgrade messes up the graphics on eeepc 1005HA

dieter-erich
February 24th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Hi,
I installed ubuntu-mate 16.04.4 on my old laptop, an eeepc 1005HA (kernel vmlinuz-4.10.0-28-generic) and everything was fine. However, after running twice "apt update followed by apt upgrade", that installed the kernel vmlinuz-4.13.0-36-generic, the screen was almost covered by a big black square on the left side. The problem must have to do with the resolution because during my repeated attempts at getting a correct install sometimes resulted in a screen resolution of only 800 x 600 instead of the normal (maximum) of 1024 x 800 with no other option available. I have installed various flavors of ubuntu over the years on this laptop without ever seeing this problem before. Thanks for hints! D-E

kerry_s
February 24th, 2018, 08:00 AM
if you hit esc just as it starts booting you should get into grub, then you can select the old kernel

dieter-erich
February 24th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Hi Kerry, thanks, but this means that I never ever can run updates! I shall be bound for ever to an older version. No way to find out what is wrong in the newer versions?

kerry_s
February 24th, 2018, 10:23 AM
that's not true, you can still update it just gets you back to a fully working system for now.

my guess is your going to have to boot with a flag of some sort, like "nomodeset" , not sure what your vid is, i'm thinking intel?

your computer is old, they might have blacklisted/dropped support for your graphics.

i'd just google around, others have got to have the same issue.

tinylagarto
February 24th, 2018, 02:34 PM
This now was happening a lot with kernel 4.13.

If you want to use a supported kernel but older and probably functional in your case you could install kernel 4.4. I think the package name should be linux-image-generic.

mörgæs
February 27th, 2018, 10:55 PM
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376580