PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nautilus is opaque occupying screen

jtodd.fr
February 23rd, 2018, 06:13 PM
I switch to i3 wm a while ago, and configure most of stuffs that now are working without a problem. But when I started to launch nautilus file manager, I notice it instead of displaying files, folders layout as usual (as in Unity desktop env). Now it becomes opaque, shown like https://imgur.com/a/HbeE4, occupying my screen (left hand side color that looks like unity 16.04 LTS wallpaper). Are there log files I can check or any way I can debug this?

Thanks

vanadium
February 23rd, 2018, 06:48 PM
You mean tranparant rather than opaque - in other words, the window does not appear. Close that window and launch nautilus from a terminal: this will show error messages that may help more. Are you using a windows compositor (typically compton)? You might need to adjust its settings. Try whether the issue also occurs without compton - this will immediately indicate whether compton is the problem or not.

jtodd.fr
February 26th, 2018, 10:28 AM
No. It's opaque because once nautilus is launched, it blocks the view behind it, including the terminal (in another screen, which is completely blocked by Ubuntu wallpaper like decoration. [I use dual monitor]) that launches the nautilus. It just happens nautilus appearing the same decoration as Ubuntu wallpaper.

I manage to write message to file, which only has following output content.

(nautilus:13330): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nautilus:13330): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:13330): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout

Not sure if the system runs with composite manager, but search by command `ps -ef | grep compo | grep -v chromium-browser` shows no composite manager is running.

userA 15353 15255 0 10:42 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto compo

Checking with `ps -ef | grep comp | grep -v chromium-browser` shows

root 63 2 0 Feb23 ? 00:00:00 [kcompactd0]
userA 3355 1 0 Feb23 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-computer --spawner :1.2 /org/gtk/gvfs/exec_spaw/6

Try with command `sudo apt-get install compton` noticing compton is not stilled in fact.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
compton libconfig9
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
Need to get 123 kB of archives.
After this operation, 328 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] ^C

Searching /var/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't find any EE (error) messages. /var/log/syslog doesn't find error as well.

jtodd.fr
February 26th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Came across to this thread - https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-956120.html

It looks like in default nautilus will manage the desktop as well (where log messages show it Can not get _NET_WORKAREA ... Can not determine workarea, gussing layout ). So passing argument --nodesktop telling nautilus not to manage desktop do the trick.

nautilus --no-desktop

Not sure if this is the right solution or not, but at least it solves my current issue.