PDA

View Full Version : Would you be willing to Donate money to Ubuntu's OS progress, as long as you knew...?

dvarsam
August 18th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Hello all!

I have created a Poll for this, so Please Vote!!!

Question:

Would you be willing to Donate money to Ubuntu's OS progress, as long as you knew where the money was aiming at?

Meaning at which project?

Example:

Personally, I would be willing to donate Money for the Ubuntu improvement, as long as I knew that the money was aiming at NTFS write support!

But, at the same time, I would not be willing to donate Money for the Ubuntu improvement, aiming at the implementation of "Cairo"...

Possible Answers:

1. Yes, I would definately Donate, regardless to where the donation money was aiming at...

2. Yes, I would Donate, but only if I knew where the donation money was aiming at...

3. No, I would not Donate money & I do not think it would really matter where the Donation money were aiming at...

4. No, I would never Donate money, whatsoever...

Thanks.

P.S.> I think that this Poll's results might prove Very interesting... Let's find out!!!

jimrz
August 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM
so where is the poll?

EDIT:

AH...there it is.

Yes, I would. I feel that the allocation and tracking of monies aimed at specific interests would be wasteful of resources and a potential administrative nightmare. I also beleive that unencumbered donations are much more in line with the whole spirit of Unubtu and so would choose that path.

Yossarian
August 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM
For some reason it wouldn't let me vote.

I have considered donating money to Ubuntu, the biggest barrier being my lack thereof.

I would give anything unconditionally, as I believe targetted donations would just be too much trouble for the company. Let them decide what they want to put the money towards.

EDIT: It let me vote. No idea what I did.

23meg
August 18th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I don't think Ubuntu really needs donations at this point. I donate small amounts whenever I can to other open source projects to which the donation means a lot more.

nalmeth
August 18th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Are you saying donate to Canonical for Ubuntu development (and specifically Ubuntu, not Debian for example)?

If so, I guess it depends on how much you trust Canonical's management to dispurse the money to where it is most needed.

I voted yes, regardless of whether I know where it goes. Even though I haven't donated a dime to Ubuntu, as they have financial support from a millionaire. I don't think they are strapped for cash.

That said, I think community efforts could use financial donations, such as these forums.. I think my money would go here first.

GeneralZod
August 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I don't think Ubuntu really needs donations at this point. I donate small amounts whenever I can to other open source projects to which the donation means a lot more.

My thoughts exactly.

slimdog360
August 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Id like to donate but Im poor :(

givré
August 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Personally, I would be willing to donate Money for the Ubuntu improvement, as long as I knew that the money was aiming at NTFS write support!

Not sure that they want to support reverse engienering project :cool:
But anyway, there is lot's of improvement this last time. Did you look at my howto? http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

And yes, if i had enough money, i'd definitly support them

Engnome
August 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM
In 8 months I'll be able to get a visa or something, however cannoical doesn't really seem to need it with Marks funding. I'd rather donate to a non profit project like Debian or GNOME. Or maybe some minor non profit organisation that I trust can decide who needs it.

dvarsam
August 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Dear "givre",

thanks for your reply!

Not sure that they want to support reverse engienering project.
But anyway, there is lot's of improvement this last time. Did you look at my howto? http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

I visited the above site you suggested...

But based on the fact that the Stuff suggested in there is still in "Beta" phase, I am reluctant to use it...!!!

I am not willing to risk damaging/loosing 10 years of my NTFS DATA files just to try out a "Beta" version...!!!

I am currently concerned with the (still in) "Beta phase" version...

When the above comes out as a "Final" version & will guarrantee NON-loss of NTFS data, then I will definately use it...

Till then, I am just not going to use it...

Thanks.

P.S.1> To me, it seems that this Poll is providing a very good outcome:
Up to now, 50% of all potential-donators, would like to know (right from the start), in which project their money would be spent at...

P.S.2> I also disagree with people stating that Mark Shuttleworth's feeding Ubuntu with funds/money is enough for the progress of the Ubuntu Software...
I believe that there will always be "need" for money Donations, for the improvement of the Software...
At least, as long as we are all looking/expecting a fast progress for this OS...

Lord Illidan
August 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Mark Shuttleworth has enough money to support Ubuntu.

I prefer supporting other smaller projects, if I had a credit card. I would happily support Zenwalk for example.

givré
August 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I visited the above site you suggested...

But based on the fact that the Stuff suggested in there is still in "Beta" phase, I am reluctant to use it...!!!

I am not willing to risk damaging/loosing 10 years of my NTFS DATA files just to try out a "Beta" version...!!!

I am currently concerned with the (still in) "Beta phase" version...

When the above comes out as a "Final" version & will guarrantee NON-loss of NTFS data, then I will definately use it...

Not sure what you're talking about, you can't really lose all your data like that. In the most excepetionnel case, that i never encounter yet with the latest version, creation of a file will fail but that will not endamage in any case all the partition.
Any way, that's right that we can't definitly call it stable since 1 month of testing isn't enough (even if ntfsmount have some years of testing behind).
But remenber that NTFS is close source, so a 100% compatible driver is quite improbable.
That's why i always recommand, and it's in the first line of my howto, ext3 for sharing file between linux & windows.

Hg80
August 18th, 2006, 03:08 PM
if it would help with the development of this fine OS then Yes, why not with a huge fanbase alot of money could be raised to help development and bring us into a more mainstream market

Brunellus
August 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I made as small donation when I got my first cash (unsolicited!) for answering questions about Linux.