PDA

View Full Version : New Lubuntu install getting blank screen thread

guscpu
February 18th, 2018, 01:23 AM
Lubuntu 17.10.1
Acer Veriton N281G
CPU: Intel Atom D425 / 1.8 GHz
Graphics Processor: Intel GMA 3150

Trying to get Lubuntu installed on the above machine. I honestly tried to follow the troubleshooting flow chart in the "Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot" sticky thread but have given up out of sheer frustration due to their lack of clarity. They were obviously meant for more advanced users.

What the hell does this mean????

Step 1. If no, use a LiveCD to chroot >> Change /etc/default/grub/ (line) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=00. and rerun "update-grub" Or you can do that chroot'ed from a LiveCD... instructions second half of post #3.

Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. oh and which shift key?

Whiie booting, Press shift key (don't hold down) multiple times to see if the Grub menu will come up

Depending on which part of the thread one looks at Step 1 has different instructions for changing the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT.

What instructions is the author referring to? ... on the screen or somewhere in the thread?

Step 2 "Does the Linux Kernel Boot?" At Grub Menu, go into edit mode and boot into a text console (see instructions below)

For a newbie like me this thread is a mess whereas for an experienced user it might make complete sense. I know it's 6 years old and there is a lot of good info here but really how many beginners will find this useful and how many will give up. I will struggle on with it but if anyone could help I would appreciate it

mörgæs
February 20th, 2018, 04:12 PM
If you have a question related to that thread then better post there.

Besides: Atom processors have a problem with the latest Ubuntus. Does any of this apply?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376580