PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 16.04 LTS Compiz Update Ate Unity, Unable to Recover

dev.anthony
February 18th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a thread out there at askubuntu.com as well, but it hasn't gotten an answer in the last day. I'm a victim of the compiz update that ate Unity, and it doesn't help that today is my third day running Linux. I have enabled the Unity plugin, and have also run the commands to install ubuntu-desktop. Aside from that, I've run any number of commands I found through Google, none of which restored the desktop environment. A previous thread here on these forums suggests that the compiz version has now been fixed, but that hasn't resolved the issue on my machine. (If it matters, it's an iMac 2015.)

I thought I had a bright idea to just reinstall Ubuntu on the iMac since I only just installed it, but when I try to recreate the USB to boot with I find the Linux version of UNetBootin doesn't have 16.04. Since it's a Mac, it can't install using an ISO - it has to use a distro.

If someone has a handy fix to convince my existing install to put the Unity environment back, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks for your time!
-Dev