PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GParted live usb

christon74
February 17th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Good morning fellow UbuntersO:)
I have finally installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and it really took some frustration and tears until I read about the "F6" key and "nomodeset". But now I would like to install another distro (either Peppermint or Zorin lite) alongside Ubuntu. To this end, I dowloaded GParted Live and saved it to a USB memory stick. I need resize my Ubuntu partition and free some space to accommodate whichever other OS I choose. Ad again, I fear I am faced with the selfsame black screen of death, because I have tried the F6 key, but nothing happens, no scroll menu pops up on the screen to let me select "nomodeset".
When choosing the USB drive on boot, should I choose Gparted's other options instead of default?
Oh! Just one more thing. I would like to know where on the web I can find Gparted's instructions manual. I have tried Gparted.org, but apparently their site is down, in case you do not already know.

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at gparted.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks.

christon74
February 17th, 2018, 09:55 AM
SOLVED! Used a LinuxPendrive, chose the option "Try ubuntu without installing" and then resized the partition using Gparted.