PDA

View Full Version : go curved monitor or go flat monitor

satimis
February 11th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Hi all,

I have been dreaming to get a curved desktop monitor sometimes. I don't game but use it for graphic editing only. I suppose the max size of a desktop monitor is 27" otherwise it would be too close to eyes.

I couldn't find a 4K curved monitor of 27" size nor with resolution: 3400x1440

Recently I found;
Samsung 27" CFG70 Curved Gaming Monitor
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/lc27fg70fqnxza-lc27fg70fqnxza/

Could you please shed me some light whether I should go curved monitor or flat monitor. I have no pre-set budget. Also I'm aware needing to purchase a new graphic card

Config of my desktop computer:
CPU - AMD 8-core
RAM - 32G onboard

Thanks in advance

Regards
satimis

wildmanne39
February 11th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe, a more appropriate forum.

QIII
February 11th, 2018, 06:50 AM
I have my doubts about curved monitors. My basic misgiving is that for it to be effective (not distorted in terms of your perception), you have to have your eyes pretty much at the center of the radius of the curve. Think of IMAX or the big trend towards curved movie theater screens in the 70s.

IMAX makes some people sick if they are not dead center and curved movie screens (for that reason) have largely disappeared. This seems like a marketing re-hash.

But say you can find that perfect sweet spot in the center of the radius and work at your desk. It that a good position with regard to your personal visual acuity?

Honestly, I think it's a gimmick. Give me three flat monitors that I can angle for best viewing at a comfortable distance from my (admittedly tri-focal hobbled) eyes.

satimis
February 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I have my doubts about curved monitors. My basic misgiving is that for it to be effective (not distorted in terms of your perception), you have to have your eyes pretty much at the center of the radius of the curve. Think of IMAX or the big trend towards curved movie theater screens in the 70s.

IMAX makes some people sick if they are not dead center and curved movie screens (for that reason) have largely disappeared. This seems like a marketing re-hash.

But say you can find that perfect sweet spot in the center of the radius and work at your desk. It that a good position with regard to your personal visual acuity?

Honestly, I think it's a gimmick. Give me three flat monitors that I can angle for best viewing at a comfortable distance from my (admittedly tri-focal hobbled) eyes.
Hi,

Lot of thanks for your detail advice and I got it. I'm webpage designer. Nowadays most visitors to websites are still running flat monitors.

I'm running a 25" Dell monitor with 2,560x1,440 resolution and I expect upgrading it to 27" display with 4K 3840×2160 resolution, QLED.

I'm now reading;
Top 10 Best 4k Monitors
https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-4k-monitors/

Comment and suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards
satimis

mastablasta
February 12th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Nowadays most visitors to websites are still running flat monitors.

correction - most visitors to websites use phone or tablet.

oldrocker99
February 15th, 2018, 05:18 PM
CRTs, which have curved screens, use a LOT more electricity than flat LCD screens. Purchase accordingly.

speedwell68
February 15th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Curved screens make me feel dissy.

poorguy
February 16th, 2018, 01:23 AM
I believe it's only a fad.

bcschmerker
February 16th, 2018, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't recommend a curved monitor smaller than 34" due to desk-space considerations and horizontal radius as a function of screen width. The vast majority of computer users work from flat-screen displays.

satimis
February 16th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Hi all,

Lot of thanks for your advice.

I have dropped my idea purchasing a curved monitor. I'm now looking for a 4K 27" flat monitor, for webpages design and graphic editing but NOT for gaming. I found many suggestion on Internet. I'll start another thread later

Regards
satimis