PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Screen goes absolutely crazy after logged out

legitness101
February 8th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Hello,
I recently started using XUbuntu 16.04, I have an issue where the screen is literally going crazy and flashing when I resume usage after it has been suspended.
After I restart, everything is back to normal and this usually only happens after the laptop has been hybernating. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks.

Qew
February 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I've actually experienced this myself with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS running XFCE (not Xubuntu). It sometimes happens either after Suspend or just after coming out after the screen has blanked. Like you, the screen starts jerking about, much like when an old TV's image started flickering/rolling, but sidewards. I stop it doing that by clicking on a program's entry on the taskbar to bring that program to the front (I do have to "chase" it with the mouse to do so). Once I manage that, the screen behaves itself. Doing so avoids rebooting or logging out. Also, oddly, when going into a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc), the screen is still flickering. This only happens now and then, not all the time.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with XFCE
Dell Inspiron 5548
8GB RAM
Intel Core i7-5500U
AMD Radeon R7 M270 (however, my installation is using Intel graphics from the processor rather than the dedicated AMD graphics card)

legitness101
February 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I've actually experienced this myself with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS running XFCE (not Xubuntu). It sometimes happens either after Suspend or just after coming out after the screen has blanked. Like you, the screen starts jerking about, much like when an old TV's image started flickering/rolling, but sidewards. I stop it doing that by clicking on a program's entry on the taskbar to bring that program to the front (I do have to "chase" it with the mouse to do so). Once I manage that, the screen behaves itself. Doing so avoids rebooting or logging out. Also, oddly, when going into a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc), the screen is still flickering. This only happens now and then, not all the time.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with XFCE
Dell Inspiron 5548
8GB RAM
Intel Core i7-5500U
AMD Radeon R7 M270 (however, my installation is using Intel graphics from the processor rather than the dedicated AMD graphics card)

"Good" to see that I'm not the only one facing this strange behavior. Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll use the "workaround" until a solution has been found/given!