PDA

View Full Version : What software comes on the Ubuntu CD

muzza
April 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
What software comes on the Ubuntu CD?

I am eagerly awaiting my Ubuntu CD, but am concerned that it may be a bit thin on software programs. I only have a 56K modem and am worried that I will spend the first few weeks downloading.
Could someone give me an idea what comes on the Ubuntu CD? My software wish list would include OOo, an MP3 ripper/player, DV movie editor, DVD editor, DVD/CD burner, Gimp, Qcad, web design/ftp, Firefox and Thunderbird. I DID look on the main Ubuntu site, but it's a bit vague with specifics.

I believe that it comes with OOo and Firefox, but will I have to download ALL of the others?

I had a nightmare with Mandrake 10.1, but with 6 CDs, there seems no end to the choice of software. Would it be possible to load some of the programs from the Mandrake CD? (Considering I am a clueless newbie with only 2 unsuccessful Linux weeks under my belt!) I am aware that there is a different method of installing software on Debian or RPM distros, but that's as much as I know. Can the programs be made to be compatible? (It would save me a few hours waiting for downloads)

bigzak
April 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I am eagerly awaiting my Ubuntu CD, but am concerned that it may be a bit thin on software programs. I only have a 56K modem and am worried that I will spend the first few weeks downloading.
Could someone give me an idea what comes on the Ubuntu CD? My software wish list would include OOo, an MP3 ripper/player, DV movie editor, DVD editor, DVD/CD burner, Gimp, Qcad, web design/ftp, Firefox and Thunderbird. I DID look on the main Ubuntu site, but it's a bit vague with specifics.

OOo, the Gimp and Firefox come on the CD. Thunderbird is in the repository. There is an MP3 player included, but you need one small download to enable the MP3 functionality. Similarly the DVD player, Totem comes installed but it cannot play encrypted DVDs 'out of the box' (it can play unencrypted ones, though). Thanks go to the wonderful world of software patents for that.

Not sure about web design as I just usually just use a text editor. Nautilus comes with built in FTP support. As for DV editors and the like, it's probably expecting a bit much. Ubuntu's only 1 CD and tries to cater for the 'average' user, who doesn't tend to edit his/her own DVDs that often ;)

As for the the RPMs you have, it MIGHT be possible as you can convert RPM to DEB quite easily. However, you'll lose all your dependency checking and that can cause PAIN later on. Maybe a friend with a fast connection could burn them to a disk for you?

muzza
April 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thank you.

I'm looking forward to installing Ubuntu. The gnome desktop reminds me of Mac OS9. I'm hoping it will be a more enjoyable experience than Mandrake was!!!