PDA

View Full Version : Unable to set KDE's "Folder View" filter

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 05:23 AM
As is detailed in the attached screenshot I set the filter dialog to hide files matching *Thumbs.* but its not happening. Unfortunately the screenshot tool doesn't catch the content of the expanded folder view list, but there are Thumbs.db & Thumbs.db.encryptable listed in there, as well as trash.desktop, which I'd also like to hide should I ever figure out how to make the filter work.

vasa1
January 27th, 2018, 05:37 AM
How do you get to Folder View Settings?

Also, what version of Plasma do you have? plasmashell --version should show that.

Edit: I found out how. One must first enable "Folder View" on the desktop. Then right-click on the desktop, etc.

I don't use Folder View at all. So no icons on my desktop.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 05:38 AM
How do you get to Folder View Settings?

Also, what version of Plasma do you have? plasmashell --version should show that.

$ plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.5.5

Right Click 'Folder View' widget's icon > Folder View Settings > Filter

vasa1
January 27th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Have you considered updating plasma, etc by adding the kubuntu-backports repository? The Plasma version in that is said to be a significant improvement over what was initially shipped. I installed it quite some time ago.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/72006-Latest-round-of-backports-PPA-updates-include-Plasma-5-10-2-for-Zesty-17-04?p=401636&viewfull=1#post401636

Even though the title mentions Artful, the specific post has to do with Xenial.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Have you considered updating plasma, etc by adding the kubuntu-backports repository? The Plasma version in that is said to be a significant improvement over what was initially shipped.

I'd consider that if it ends up that the problem I face is from it not working properly, rather than just me not setting it right. Even still I'm not sure I'd want to go through updating so much just to remove 3 entries in a menu that are mere annoyances. Thanks for the info however.

vasa1
January 27th, 2018, 06:59 AM
BTW, which program are you using to capture screenshots? Even though I'm using Kubuntu, I like gnome-screenshot better.
Name=WholeScreen GSS
CommandURL=gnome-screenshot -p -f /home/vasa1/Dropbox/Screenshots/"GS$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png
Key=Meta+Ctrl+W

Name=Active GSS
CommandURL=gnome-screenshot -wp -f /home/vasa1/Dropbox/Screenshots/"GS$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png
Key=Meta+Ctrl+A

Name=Delayed GSS
CommandURL=gnome-screenshot -p -d 10 -f /home/vasa1/Dropbox/Screenshots/"GS$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png
Key=Meta+Ctrl+D

Name=Interactive GSS
CommandURL=gnome-screenshot -a -f /home/vasa1/Dropbox/Screenshots/"GS$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png
Key=Meta+Ctrl+I
If you use the delayed option, you can initiate the screen capture while having ten seconds to open menus or dropdowns or whatever you want.

Then, you can use gwenview to crop the image to show just what you want so that the image is easily visible, keeping in mind the constraints imposed by the forum's size limitations.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 07:02 AM
BTW, which program are you using to capture screenshots?

Spectacle- & when I hit the Print Screen button on my keyboard, the menu is indeed active. For some reason it's ignored though.

Maybe I'll try another one day, not a priority at the moment.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Yea that didn't go well at all. Not in menu & crashes the display briefly when I run it at cli.

$ gnome-screenshot
** Message: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.

vasa1
January 27th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Yea that didn't go well at all. Not in menu & crashes the display briefly when I run it at cli.

$ gnome-screenshot
** Message: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.

I get that as well, but the screenshot is captured. Did you check in the destination folder you set? And did you use the code I provided (modified to your needs)?

I don't run just gnome-screenshot.

Edit: if you want, try
gnome-screenshot -ifor interactive. You'll get a dialog windoe.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 07:15 AM
No, Spectacle just works, its rare I need that menu so whatever. Maybe one day when I'm up to spending more time on it. I just wanted to try it in case it was a quick fix. Oh, well.

accounts0
January 27th, 2018, 08:46 AM
As a workaround, I've added a "." to the names of the files I aim to not see. The "Trash" directory is still reachable via the Dolphin sidebar entry. The 2 "Thumbs.db" files weren't recreated upon selecting thumbnail view of a .jpg in the Desktop directory when viewed in Dolphin where thumbnail view was selected. Will see if it survives a reboot, or if anything else unexpected recreates un-hidden "Thumbs.db" files again.