PDA

View Full Version : No Ubuntu on Acer

Dragonfly_X
April 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I've tried to install Ubuntu on Acer machines at work but grub fails to load and finish the setup. I don't know if this is a problem specific to Acer, but it seems that way.

I've also tried to install SUSE 9 and it does the same thing!Has anyone experienced the same problem? ](*,)

HungSquirrel
April 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Have you tried installing LILO instead? (To have more options during the install, such as using LILO over GRUB, type 'expert' and hit Enter when the CD first boots.)

defkewl
April 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Can you please post any message to give us a clue?

kb00heda
April 4th, 2005, 05:05 PM
My installation, on a Acer laptop (Ferrari 3000), worked nicely. No problems at all. Not that it helps for you to hear it...? :-?

Anyway, I had some trouble getting Ubuntu up and running on my stationary machine, even though not an Acer. I was able to run the installation until the CD popped out, and GRUB was to be loaded. Later I discovered my issue to be a boot order set wrongly in BIOS (I have multiple HDDs). Perhaps that could be the case for you too?

/David

Dragonfly_X
April 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I managed to figure it out! When installing Ubuntu create a separate partition about a 100MB big, it must be a "exp3" file system, then set the mount point to /boot.

When installation is finished grub should load normally! :lol:

kb00heda
April 5th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Glad to hear it!

When I installed I didn't change the default partitioning; just erased all old data and wrote two new partitions, the first being a larger bootable ext3, and the second a smaller swap.