PDA

View Full Version : Anyone regrets having a tattoo?

Mr_J_
August 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm currently in the process of getting a full back piece.
It's going to be imperative it stays hidden when I wear a shirt or a t-shirt so that my work doesn't suffer from that.

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo since I was around 17 and now that I'm 23 and working with some to spare I decided it was time to get the tattoo.

I'm not tottally sure, mainly because my mother is not very into tattoos and is throwing one major guilt trip my way.
The other part is I suck at drawing, and since the original drawing is just not possible as a tattoo, mainly because it was a dream...
Or at least that's the easiest way to put it...
Just haven't got a clear image of what I want, and I haven't seen the artist rendering and it's making me anxious and unsafe.

Still... None of that matters to the question.
Has anyone got a tattoo they regret?
Reasons and history would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dylan103
August 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Nope, but I'm only 13, and my dad just recently got one(I designed, nd colored in GIMP), and has no regrets and is making me design another one. I think tattoos arnt about look or style, its about meaning..At least thats what I think. Well hope it all goes good for you.

RavenOfOdin
August 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Don't get any tattoos that are liable to shock the hell out of your pastor.

I want mine removed bad. It was a stupid decision and it mirrored a temporary low point in my life
more than anything else.

ComplexNumber
August 17th, 2006, 07:00 PM
i've never had a tattoo done ever. i find them ugly. they're not just ugly, but they give the completely wrong impression about a person. this includes giving the wrong impression in job interviews and throughout ones career etc. virtually everyone who i know who had a tattoo when young amd naive, regrets it.

Greycloak
August 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I got a tattoo about 8 years ago and have never regretted it. Make sure you check out a few different tattoo artists before you get it done. Also, ask to see other work that the artist has done so you can be sure that you are in good hands.

adam.tropics
August 17th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm not tottally sure, mainly because my mother is not very into tattoos and is throwing one major guilt trip my way.

Still... None of that matters to the question.
Has anyone got a tattoo they regret?
Reasons and history would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Whilst growing up, I suffered the wrath of my Mother if I ever dared suggest I was considering having a tattoo. She was dead set against. Anyway, move forward a few years, and it turned out she had a (recent) one done herself....go 'winnie the pooh'!! So I got mine done. No regrets at all, it's covered for work, not outragously huge, and I'm totally happy with it.

Advice....Make your Mum roll up her sleeves and see where all the misguided displaced guilt tripping is really coming from!

bionnaki
August 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have several tattoos. Where I am from they are quite common (a major american city). Tattoos here are almost mainstream. I have no regrets. My tattoos can easily be hidden and I have not had any problems with work or family.

I suggest finding *the best* artist in your area and spending good money. In the world of ink, what you pay for is what you get. I also recommend tattoo placement somewhere you can cover it up - hands, forearm, neck, etc can be problematic with all those squares who are still offended by ink and harbor bias against those who choose to modify their body.

http://www.bmezine.com is great website to check out.

my favorite artist is patrick cornolo - http://www.patrickcornolo.com

dont be ashamed of your ink. it is your body and your expression. enjoy ;)

matthew
August 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I got a tattoo at 36 years old to commerate a significant event in my life and I have no regrets. However, I do have some recommendations if you go through with it...

Make sure you love the design...for all practical purposes you should assume you will be stuck with if for the rest of your life.

Get a small one first, somewhere where you can hide it easily like your upper arm near the shoulder. In fact, don't get them where they are difficult to hide unless you already have two or three.

Research your tattoo artist thoroughly. Use someone who understands and uses good hygiene techniques (everything comes out of an autoclave or a hermetically sealed wrapper, for instance, they wear gloves, etc.). Look at lots of photos and samples of his/her previous work. Pick someone with lots of experience--you don't want to be part of someone's learning curve. A good rule of thumb is that good tattoos are not cheap and cheap tattoos are not good.

loserboy
August 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I didn't get a tatto, but i had my tongue pierced for a couple years and decided it was annoying then pulled it out. I work in sales and older people often feel that it's very disrespectful, and my mom really hated that i did it, also i had to eat differently and gum can get stuck on acrylic.

anyway its your decision but i've changed alot since then and i would never do anything to make my mom sad anymore since shes aging and i see that she's not always gonna be around, i'd rather her be happy over something little no matter how trivial it is...

Lord Illidan
August 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I don't know why you want to do it.
Personally, I think they look ugly, but then, I haven't yet seen some really cool designs.
The worst imho, is when you get old. I've seen a few old people with tatoos on the beach. They look awful..really awful.

If you get them because you are passing through a bad patch, well, there will be good patches in future, no need to put those patches on your body.

Anyway, do what you feel best..just my 2c!

loserboy
August 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
ha! I almost forgot!
my ex-girlfirend got a tattoo that i bet she regrets

she put a name that she has for me circling around her left breast and now her new %@$%@^&8!!%# boyfriend has to see it all the time haha

bionnaki
August 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
names are usually a bad idea, unless they are the names of your kids or parents or family in general.

as for tattoos on old folks, the ink that was used decades ago was of poor quality compared to today's standards. The ink of today will last and not break down. Also, how you take care of the tattoo greatly affects its longevity. Be sure to follow the after-care instructions...and always put sunblock on your ink when you'll be in the sun for long periods of time. UV rays break the ink down after awhile, so protection is must if you want the tattoo to remain in quality condition.

Also, a touch-up every few years always helps.

following these instructions will avoid your ink looking all blurry and sad like grandpa's tattoos.

Mr_J_
August 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
The tattoo artist has a shown me loads of his work.
Which I like the style of.
Some are too conservative for my taste, but the design is still not done.

I've waited a long time to get this tattoo, and only I know exactly why I want it. A told one person a great part of the why, but her and I aren't so well these days. She is the only other living person who I've told why I want it.

It's part of a bad patch, that is mostly gone now. A debt I can never pay. A dream I had. And having the ability to survive threw all of that alone.

I know it sounds like a Walt Disney movie, and it's hellishly corny, but that's why. Even if not really explained.

On top of all that I want it to be beautifull, and if I waited so many years to get this tattoo I can wait some more time to get the design just right.

In the begining I wanted a small tattoo, but I could never find something I trully cared about to get on that tattoo.
When I started thinking of larger tattoos I remembered this idea.
Now that idea is being adapted to a tattoo.

I won't get it done unless I'm totally fine with the design, but that might take some time.

I know a full back piece is a lot, but so far I haven't had the urge to get more tattoos. I'm only getting this one because of how much it means to me.

Not that I'll tell anyone what it means even asked directly.
I love my mother and father, but this one is a secret for me alone. Maybe if I get married one day, I'll tell my wife about why I got it...

So far the plan is having it hidden away on my back where I'd need sleeveless t-shirts to show it.
Away from any noticeable areas with common wear.

Lord Illidan
August 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM
as for tattoos on old folks, the ink that was used decades ago was of poor quality compared to today's standards. The ink of today will last and not break down. Also, how you take care of the tattoo greatly affects its longevity. Be sure to follow the after-care instructions...and always put sunblock on your ink when you'll be in the sun for long periods of time. UV rays break the ink down after awhile, so protection is must if you want the tattoo to remain in quality condition.

What interests me is, can they be erased quickly and safely and permanently?

ComplexNumber
August 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
What interests me is, can they be erased quickly and safely and permanently?
have a read of this (http://people.howstuffworks.com/tattoo-removal.htm).

MetalMusicAddict
August 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
2 Things I would say about them:

Dont get any names but your kids. They will always be you kids but girl/boyfriends can come and go.
Dont care about what others think. Do it for yourself. It s very personal choice that you will have for a very long time.

I have 2 myself. A small one and a large one. Im in the process of designing a full sleve and 2 pieces for my sides also. The all have personal meaning. Just be sure its what you want.

Boomy
August 17th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I don't regret mine, even though 2 are kind of ugly and faded looking, I never even pay attention to them. Mine are all under the sleeves, so I don't have to worry about job interviews and such. Whatever you get, make sure it means something positive to you. And draw it up yourself, if your drawing sux get an artist to polish it up for you. don't walk in and point to a picture on the wall and say "I want that one". Also, I hate when people just pick for example a Chinese (or any other culture) symbol out of a flash book. If you are Chinese, have spent some time in China, or are fluent in the language (Mandarin?), then it's cool. But some people just say "yeah it's the Chinese symbol for life" or whatever, and they have no ties to Chinese culture. And for all they know it could mean "cocksucker" and it was a joke by a sneaky flash book artist. Just make sure it's original and means something to you and you get it done by a respectable artist. Don't do it impulsively and you won't regret it.

gerbman
August 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
If I were to get a tattoo at this point in my life, this is the way I would go (blacklight tattoos):

http://www.tattooartists.org/Gal3975_UV_Blacklight_Ink.asp
http://blog.wired.com/blacklighttats/

Hands-down the coolest thing I have ever seen permanently affixed to a person's body (especially the skeleton version).

mips
August 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I personally don't like tattoos although I must admit that some look cool.

I will never have one. I cherish my body and i'm not about to become someone else's canvas. As you age they simply just become uglier to me to the point of being revolting.

The choice is your's and it is a personal one which has very little if anything to do with the rest of us.

magnoliablossom
August 17th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I cherish my body too but I have a tattoo...I saw a cigarette lighter in a store once with a design I liked...I had been thinking about getting one for a while but just wasn't sure what I wanted...When I saw that lighter I knew that was it so I bought it....It's on my left side a little below the waistline so I can hide it easily...There's only been one time that I regretted and really it wasn't a regret that I got it, just that my mom saw it...When I was pregnant and HUGE, my mom wanted to get pictures of my tummy bared...I tried to talk her out of it but no way for my mom...She wigged out...One word of caution to any women out there considering one...They look kinda ugly when they're all stretched out during pregnancy...lol

Derek Djons
August 17th, 2006, 11:43 PM
For me tattoo's aren't just decorations which you put on like rings and chains. Though I don't have a tattoo YET! I'm planning on getting several. But they all have a 'experience through life' meaning attached to them.

djsroknrol
August 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Personally, I don't have any..I'm afraid of needles (go figure..my older sis died of a drug OD)..I admire good art however, and my wife has a teddy bear somewhere that I won't discuss here...;)

I have had friends who have lost interviews and current jobs over them and I would recomend discresion.