PDA

View Full Version : Weird file on wildlife camera

nginmu
January 17th, 2018, 10:05 PM
I'm posting this here because I'm not sure it's anything to do with Linux at all, but I figure a lot of these small devices use some form of small OS based on Linux?

Anyways.. I have a wildlife camera similar to this one here >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162745343211

Today, it captured a series of clips of intruders on my farm.

Funny thing was though, I have a whole bunch of these cams dotted around the farm and they all captured different sections of the action at different times. Working between the content of all the different clips, it became apparent that one cam seemed to be missing a lot of action it really should have caught.

I noticed that the SD card in that particular camera, had far less recordings stored than would normally be the case for the length of time it had been left unattended.

There was also a bizarre file present on the card, besides the list of .avi files - named AAAAAAAA.AAA, and sized at zero bytes

Is it possible this file could indicate in some way, someone having tampered with the camera &/or card, to delete some files?

Just thought that maybe, the level of expertise in here is such that the filename might prompt an idea in someone's mind..

edit.. is it possible the AAAAAAAA.AAA file could be some sort of artifact of the formatting process? I always format the card when I first put it in. or, could there be some other maybe glitch-related explanation for it being there other than someone deliberately fiddling..

QIII
January 18th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Two legged intruders?

nginmu
January 18th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Two legged intruders from The Government - very annoying. The cams are really good at catching other-legged intruders as well (no idea we had so many rats) but unless The Government have trained them to delete files.. well I guess I'm calling Not Guilty on the rats for now.

Entirely possible the cam simply hasn't triggered for the activity that must have happened but isn't seen (the intruders have left allsorts of evidence of their presence lying around the immediate vicinity of the cam, they must have been fiddling around there for a good hour), it's just that weird file.. I dunno.. seems kinda suspicious

QIII
January 18th, 2018, 02:47 PM
To be honest, I am not sure we have anyone here with the expertise required to be of any assistance to those who have agents from The Government intruding on their farms and altering the data on their wildlife cameras.