PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I reinstall ubuntu if yes how to reinstall?

srikuntu
January 8th, 2018, 04:26 PM
While installing ubuntu with dual boot using USB, while installing I skipped to download the required drivers. Due to that I am unable to use wifi and any other service. I have also messed up the terminal. I am looking to reinstall ubuntu 16.04 and start fresh. Help me with step by step with setting partition to whole reinstallation with USB. Thank you

ajgreeny
January 8th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Without knowing your hardware it is impossible to tell you what to do but I doubt if a reinstallation is the easiest way to proceed.

If you can attach to an ethernet cable connection do so and run a system update with commands
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade which may be all that is necessary to get you going on wifi.

You can also go to Additional Drivers from the menu or dash to see if any drivers are available.

Finally, install inxi from the repos and show us the output of command
inxi -F which will show us a lot of info about your hardware.

srikuntu
January 9th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I think even the path is not correct. Still not able to connect to wifi.

RobGoss
January 9th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I think reinstalling the whole Ubuntu system might be harder and may cause other issues seeing you have a dual boot system

If you can use a hard wire connection you can update the system and install Additional Drivers as suggested

You might also want to provide some information about your machine so others can help trouble shoot this issue. Is this a older computer?

ajgreeny
January 9th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I am not sure what you mean by "even the path is not correct"; do you mean the urls or sources that you have in your sources.list file, as I can see you appear to have some non-standard repos enabled, eg codeblocks and webupd8team ppas.
Try disabling them to see if it helps, though it may be that one of those has either installed a version of python3 that is causing the difficulties you have, or more likely in view of the image you show, needs a version of python3 that is not available.

joe129
January 10th, 2018, 07:15 PM
have you checked the existing hdd for any errors , does it boot from windows?