PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the name "Ubuntu"?

plb
August 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I always thought it sounded kinda funny lol...what do you guys think?

rattlerviper
August 17th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Like it very much actually. I like it better than Suse or Mandriva or Linspire or Freespire Or Gentoo or Slax or Arch for that matter. Ubuntu is a good name.

-deadcats
August 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
What's in a name?

/said deadpan

-dc

Bloch
August 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Could anything sound as silly as Red Hat? . . . .
well, maybe Suse (Suzy or Sooze??)

A name just has to be distinctive and not have such a spelling that makes people afraid to pronouce it in case others laugh.

chadk
August 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Never cared for the name. I like Dapper though, that's a good name. Edgy is nice also but makes me a little uncomfortable. ;)

plb
August 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I always thought suse was pretty interesting, debian also because it is the debian founders name and his wife's combined (Deb + Ian)

aysiu
August 17th, 2006, 04:30 PM
It sounds strange because it's not an English word, and this is an English-speaking forum.

Yossarian
August 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Ubuntu's a good name.

hizaguchi
August 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I like the meaning, but I'm not a fan of the word itself. Maybe if I were African it would be different, but it's difficult for me to say it and even more difficult for others to understand what I'm saying. For example:

coworker: "Woah, what was that spinning cube thingy?!?"
me: "It's my Linux desktop."
coworker: "Oh yeah, I've heard of that before. Which Linux is that anyway?"
me: "Ubuntu"
coworker: "Uooo, Ubuuu, Uboonuuunnntuu? What?"

Debian, Red Hat, and Suse are just way easier for me to communicate. :)

Boomy
August 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Ubuntu sounds funny, but i like "dapper" it sounds cool. I'm gonna start using it in place of "cool". Hey man that is so dapper!! Damn dude, your new car is dapper!! Yeah, I hooked up with this chick, she's really dapper...

MaximB
August 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I too don't like the "sound" of it
but I like the meaning...and that's what counts

Yossarian
August 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Depends on your pronounciation, as well.

Canadians seem to say it "you buhn two", which suits me just fine. The correct way of saying it twists my tongue.

kop316
August 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I like it becuase its not even close to a common name, so if i talk about it, people wil always ask what it is. If I say Linux, poeple know the word, but if I say Ubuntu say "what is that?"
Kind of like that.

AndyCooll
August 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I like it. And I like its meaning too.

:cool:

jimrz
August 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM
absolutely...and the meaning and spirit of it, as well

aleska
August 18th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I think Ubuntu is a very cool name. It sounds majestic in an exotic way. It conjures up images of something worldly and important, yet with simple and humble origins.

Although, on the other hand, if it were a name for a flu, it would scare the bejeezes out of me. News brief from the alternate reality future...'while official death counts are unconfirmed, reports say that as much as one-third of the earth's population has been stricken with the deadly Ubuntu virus.' ...grim, I know ;-)

But seriously, love the name and the meaning.

23meg
August 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I totally like it; its appearance, pronounciation, meaning, everything.

zxee
August 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Ubuntu has a rhythm to it unlike any other and unique to itself a whole philosophy and beingness that is inspirational.

kostkon
August 18th, 2006, 02:57 AM
It's OK, I don't have a problem saying it, like I don't have a problem saying "Linux", which it's also kinda of strange to say.

nalmeth
August 18th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Yes, but I don't like it pronounced as "A-boon-too". I prefer "Uh-bun'too".

Also, the codenames are fun, but typically, I just refer to it as Ubuntu, or Ubuntu Linux.......

The codenames and numbers are an afterthought

egon spengler
August 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I think for many people who dislike the name it's basically down to their eurocentric view of things. Really, the name ubuntu isn't that dissimilar to gentoo but I don't think I've ever come across people with issues with gentoo they way that some do with ubuntu

elamericano
August 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it's a dumb name. (Each 'u' is pronounced differently) In my experience, people run from the sound of it, which makes it hard to recommend sometimes. Why does something so easy have such a hard name?

Oh well, it beats Mand-Riva anyway.

fuscia
August 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
It sounds strange because it's not an English word, and this is an English-speaking forum.

there's a big difference between unfamiliar and goofy. the zulu word for daughter (indodakazi), for example, is unfamiliar, but not goofy (subjectively speaking, of course).

egon spengler
August 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, it's a dumb name. (Each 'u' is pronounced differently) In my experience, people run from the sound of it, which makes it hard to recommend sometimes. Why does something so easy have such a hard name?

Oh well, it beats Mand-Riva anyway.

Aren't the two 'a's in "el americano" pronounced differently?

beercz
August 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I always thought suse was pretty interesting, debian also because it is the debian founders name and his wife's combined (Deb + Ian)
My wife's name is Debbie :-)

SKLP
August 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Do you like the name "Ubuntu"?Yes

magnoliablossom
August 18th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I like it, especially the meaning of it. I think it fits the spirit of Linux and Open Source in general.

elamericano
August 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Aren't the two 'a's in "el americano" pronounced differently?

No they're not. Long 'a' sound, like "ah" - not that it's the name of a product anyway. Two different things.

From a marketing perspective it may not have been the best choice, but in the galaxy of bad linux names (like Grub and Conky) it barely registers.

Lord Illidan
August 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I like the name and meaning.

Few names in Linux sound really good. Linspire, SuSe, Mandriva, Red Hat, they sound really bad.

Fedora also sounds nice, imho...Zenwalk sounds really cool, too.

FISHERMAN
August 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I like it the name, though to me Kubuntu and Xubuntu sound better.