PDA

View Full Version : How about this, an unofficial Ubuntu package site

plb
August 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
The one thing I always see is people looking for ubuntu packages when new applications come out. What do you guys think about setting up a site where users can upload, download, and search for packages? We could also setup repositories etc. Of course this would all be unofficial and use at your own risk but would anyone be interested in something like this?

goatmale
August 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
the dark side of the universe... I like it...

plb
August 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I was thinking about something that looks like http://www.gnomefiles.org We could show the most recently uploaded files, most popular etc.

rattlerviper
August 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM
It's already in the works for the Medical Ubuntu project site should be up within a month. If there is enough intrest I suppose we could have a section where we host normal software if there is enough intrest. As long as you can find someone to package them:D and the bill for bandwidth doesn't become astronomical.

plb
August 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Packages could be uploaded by anyone, it should however have some sort of rating system where people could rate if it works etc.

rattlerviper
August 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Packages could be uploaded by anyone, it should however have some sort of rating system where people could rate if it works etc.

True enough, although we would need to ensure that only packages legal for redistrobution would be uploaded;)

cstudent
August 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
The subject was already brought up.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234651

plb
August 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM
The funny thing is I can't believe more people aren't interested. I always see people looking for new debs in these forums. It would probably get more attention if someone just went ahead and created it instead of just talking about it.

John.Michael.Kane
August 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM
plb it's not that no one is interested,however. you have to understand what having an unofficial Ubuntu package site brings with it.

your basically saying anyone who packages a deb can post it. Where is the quality control?

who is going to make sure said files are not carrying extra bagage?

Your asking people to trust you or the packagers who would be unknown with root permission in the case of installing said files.

rattlerviper
August 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
plb it's not that no one is interested,however. you have to understand what having an unofficial Ubuntu package site brings with it.

your basically saying anyone who packages a deb can post it. Where is the quality control?

who is going to make sure said files are not carrying extra bagage?

Your asking people to trust you or the packagers who would be unknown with root permission in the case of installing said files.

That is a major worry in the back of my head. I don't want to be involved in security breakdown. The only way to make it work would be work(maybe) would be to require everyone who was uploading to have a pgp key and for the packages to be checked prior to distrobution for legal and security issues. Starting to sound alot like the REVU proccess? Being in the U.S. I wouldn't want it to become a way to distribute illegal files.

There is something to be said with not trusting root to anyone...It's not that terribly hard to learn how to package or install from a tar. That being said if somone can figure out how to make it work and is actually willing to work on the process you can either PM me or post a thread in the Medical Ubuntu area.