PDA

View Full Version : information board with calender and slideshow

cazz
January 5th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Hi
Right now I use a free but limited service to show on a computer screen at home some background slideshow image and also a nice list of event from my google calender with help of ical.

But now curious to see if I can have my own system on one of my webservers at home.

But first before I do something I wonder if that is any open source code that do this for me.

if not that is ok, have looking around and is alot of info how to make a slideshow of image in a folder with PHP.
But have not find any good code to make a PHP to read ical and show it nice and proper on my page.

TheFu
January 7th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Not a direct answer to your question, but ...

There are popular self-hosting personal cloud type applications for all sorts of things. A project called "sovereign" has about 20 of them all grouped together. There is a list: https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign - things you might like.

It is best to get a full VPN working first, since placing most of these tools directly on the internet from your home isn't the smartest idea. IMHO.

As for slideshows, lots and lots of tools do that. Many photo galleries include it. Plex has a web interface that does. So does Nextcloud, for example. Photo viewers like geenie have a slideshow capability.

I'm looking for a slide show that lets me provide a list of files, not just whole directories. Would love ideas, but not php-based.

I've played with a few javascript webapps. Smart-Gallery is one. Meh. Too much work for my needs. Basically, they require hard-coding the images into the javascript. Yuck!

cazz
January 7th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Well I was thinking to find a nice slideshow for my image to show as background on my page is not so hard to find. I can even build my own if I want and maybe do that.

But I have not find any good and easy to use to read iCalendar file, have try some now and some does not work or not easy to edit to show what I want to see and how.

I just want to show the event of the five of the upcoming events, what and date and time
well the file I can read as a plain txt file so I guess I have to find a way to read the file in array and then show it with a nice CSS.