PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] missing the applications window menus, ( file, edit, view, tools, help, etc )

james2b
January 4th, 2018, 05:59 AM
I have a new install of Kubuntu 17.10 onto a USB flash drive and when I open any program such as the Firefox browser, there is no top menu bar. So how and where do I get this feature?:

mainemojo
January 4th, 2018, 06:22 AM
If I recall correctly, Firefox's menu bar is hidden by default. Look at this article (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars) for how to make it appear. Are you really missing the minimize/maximize buttons and the title bar? If so, what desktop are you using? If that's the case, sounds like you may be missing a package.

vasa1
January 4th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Press and release the Alt key to make the menu bar appear for Firefox.

james2b
January 5th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Okay thanks for the replies, with my Kubuntu 17.10 it has the KDE desktop, and if possible I want to switch on the menu bar to stay in all the programs. I looked in the settings, and right clicked up on the top window bar area which some have those 3 stacked dashes that does have the option for menu bar.

vasa1
January 5th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Okay thanks for the replies, with my Kubuntu 17.10 it has the KDE desktop, and if possible I want to switch on the menu bar to stay in all the programs. I looked in the settings, and right clicked up on the top window bar area which some have those 3 stacked dashes that does have the option for menu bar.
I don't understand what you mean by "I want to switch on the menu bar to stay in all the programs." Each program has its own menu bars.

Could you post some screenshots? You can use the paperclip icon to upload images here.

james2b
January 6th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Okay so when I select show the specific menu bar while in each application window, will that setting be saved and permanent for the next boot up of this running live from a USB stick version? Or are these type of settings changes only saved with Linux installed fully on a hard drive? There is a feature of bootable USB ready made Linuxes which is called persistence, so is that related to being able to save changes?

yancek
January 6th, 2018, 03:21 PM
If you are running Kubuntu as a 'Live' system from a flash drive, none of the changes will be saved on reboot. That's by design. You could do a full install to the flash drive if it is large enough. I'm not sure if you can make system type changes with persistence like you can with a full install.