PDA

View Full Version : Where is it?

Langstracht
August 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I create a file, edit the file, list the file, look at what's in the file, make it executable ... all without a peep from Linux.

And yet when I execute it (or at least try to execute it), Linux says it isn't there.

Anyone any idea how I can access it.

TIA

givré
August 17th, 2006, 02:28 PM
did you try executing it with ./<your file>
When you enter a simple command to bash, it will look at you PATH (ie /bin,/sbin,/usr/bin,/usr/sbin) to see if the file exist. When you want to launch a program from an other directory, you have to say him that the file is in this diectory (./ = your currant directory) or you have to specify the complete path (for exemple /home/<you>/<the file>)

Langstracht
August 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hmmm ... I thought I had and it didn't work. So! I tried it again.

This time (maybe last time too) it says "Permission denied".

So maybe I need to be root?

But I don't understand, all the other commands work in and on the current (home) directory. Shouldn't I be able to run a command "for me"?

givré
August 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
So maybe I need to be root?
All depend of the emplacement of the file, and the permission you have on it (ls -l <the file> to know it), but i guess yes

But I don't understand, all the other commands work in and on the current (home) directory. Shouldn't I be able to run a command "for me"?
You don't understand.
When you launch a command from the terminal, for exemple gedit, it will search the file in your PATH (this is a system variable), the PATH contain all the directory that contain binary (=executable) file of your system (to see it echo $PATH in a terminal)
so with only one command, you can launch a programm whithout given the full path of the file (/usr/bin/gedit for gedit).
But if you want to launch executable file that are not in the PATH, you have to specify the full path to it.
So if you have a script call myscript.sh in /home/me/ you have to launch it
via /home/me/myscript.sh or if you are in /home/me, you can simply launch ./myscript.sh since ./ will be equivalent to /home/me/ (current directory)

You can also edit your PATH to contain more directory, for exemple create a bin directoy in your home and add /home/<you>/bin to the PATH will allow you to launch every script/programm of the directory with a simple command, but that's an other story. :cool:

Langstracht
August 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
You're right. I really DON'T understand. But I hope to before too, too long.

I should have thought to do the ls thing b4. Having done so I found that the "permission denied" thingy was because the "x" didn't take and the file was not executable.

Having rectified that (and verified it) it does indeed work "as advertised".

Appreciate your help.