PDA

View Full Version : HW? problems installing Lubuntu

elmojare54
January 2nd, 2018, 09:34 AM
Hello, I have an old PC from around 2006-2007 for my old man that was running on Windows XP and of lately it was going really bad, very slow and after some time it would hang, so I decided to install Lubuntu on it. However when I got to it, every time when I start the installation process, after i select the install option, the screen will freeze and it will show like what it had the last time it was on, but broken down in rectangles, it was weird, because it was showing parts of the windows XP desktop (in the first tryouts). One of the times I got the lubuntu prompt for user password, I enter the default credentials and it seemed to catch, then I started reading messages like this: "[271.787043] nouveau 0000.02:00.0: Xorg[1332]: failed to idle channel 1 [Xorg[1332]]" that I do not understand, and after some of those messages again the frozen screen with little rectangles black and white.
I suspect this to be a HW problem, but I do not know what HW component is the faulty one, if it is the BIOS that is corrupted, if it is the graphic card that has some issue on its memory, or even the RAM. I do not think it is the HDD but I do not discard anything. Anyone knows what might be happening?
Thanks!

TheFu
January 2nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
Yes, it is likely a HW issue. Before "installing", just run the desktop off the CD. How does that work?

You can check the log files while running the live-CD for issues and trouble shoot the different hardware. This would remove the disk controller, drive, cables from impacting the running OS. If the video is still corrupted, then I'd say the video card or PSU is failing. It could be the motherboard is failing too. These components all wear out from heat-cool cycles over the years.

How do I say this nicely. A $75 used computer will have at least a 64-bit C2D and 4G of RAM. Is it really worth your time to troubleshoot this ancient computer when a cheap one will be at least 10x faster?

I built a new computer for $126 about 5 yrs ago - that was a new MB, new CPU (G3258), and new RAM. Reused a case, PSU, HDD, and hooked it up to the old keyboard, monitor and mouse. It is the center of storage for the entire network here. Imagine what that amount could purchase today - probably a core system that is 2-3x faster.

Whenever I want a "new computer", I reuse everything I can and start fresh with a new CPU and new motherboard. Everything else is reused, if possible. I've been using the same case from 1998 all this time. Keyboards are IBM 101M - so from the early 1990s. Onboard video has been fantastic for my needs since around 2010. Sadly, most new CPUs require DDR4 RAM, which is still very expensive. I've wanted a new computer for 6 months, but just can't make the costs work out due to RAM prices.

To get better help, post info about the hardware and the release of Ubuntu being installed. Someone might help.

mörgæs
January 3rd, 2018, 04:42 PM
Yes, a live boot is worth trying.
Have you cleaned the computer for dust bunnies accumulated over the years?

s9032g@comcast.net
January 3rd, 2018, 04:50 PM
Completely clean (in every way) install is best.