PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] post-16.04.3 installation issue: cannot upgrade system or install software

che-ffe-muc
December 30th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I have installed ubuntu 16.04.3 more or less successfully. Here is my boot-info (https://paste.ubuntu.com/26273263/) for this: https://paste.ubuntu.com/26273263/
The issues I faced during installation can be found in this thread: Installation of 16.04.3 stalls at "installing grub2" ... (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2381070)

After the installation and the reboot of the computer, the basic installation with WLAN, Office, Firefox is working, but now I cannot install new software (i.e. VLC) or upgrade existing software (Firefox) and I cannot install any ubuntu updates (i.e. security updates). When I click on "Ubuntu Software Center" mouse pointer gives me circles some seconds, and then nothing.

My key requirement is to get the machine in a stable state i.e. install updates, upgrade existing software, and install new software (VLC).

What I did also:
1. starting again with LiveCD and running boot-repair (creating boot-info)
2. identified that UEFI/BIOS is version is 5RCN20WW (2017-05-22), newest version is 5RCN30WW (2017-10-17). Only Windows executable found. I do not know how to upgrade (but I do not think this is the real issue)
3. I ran boot-repair within my ubuntu session according to "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair" (2nd option).
sudo apt-get update
gets this error message:
DE "E: Konnte Sperre /var/lib/apt/lists/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)"
EN "could not get lock for/from /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: ressource is temporarily/currently not available)
Next I continue with
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
and it tells me that a different process is locking
DE "E: Konnte Sperre /var/lib/dpkg/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)"
DE "E: Sperren des Administrationsverzeichnisses (/var/lib/dpkg/) nicht möglich, wird es von einem anderen Prozess verwendet?"
Transcript English: could not get lock for/from/on /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: ressource temporarily/currently not available). Locking of administration folder (/var/lib/dpkg) not possible. is it used by another process?

Ok, next try (ps -a) gives me:

PID TTY TIME CMD
3007 pts/2 00:00:00 frontend
3013 pts/2 00:00:00 grub-efi-amd64.
3109 pts/2 00:00:00 grub-install
3136 pts/2 00:00:00 efibootmgr <defunct>
3138 pts/2 00:00:00 efibootmgr
4452 pts/17 00:00:00 ps

Any clues what to do next? Thank you for advice!
And even if I did a lot of try and error with terminal commands, I do not know a lot about it. In case you have some hints please explain or provide links to more info. Thank you!

QIII
December 30th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Hello!

E: Konnte Sperre /var/lib/apt/lists/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)

This indicates that you have two package management systems open at the same time. Close one or the other and try again.

Sometimes having your system set up to do automatic updates will lead to this. For some period of time after logging in, the package manager will attempt to either update your package database and/or, depending on the settings, attempt to update the software.

After your next boot, don't open a package manager -- either GUI or in the terminal. Wait perhaps 10 minutes. Then attempt to update via the terminal and let us know if you get any errors and what they are.

che-ffe-muc
December 30th, 2017, 10:25 PM
grub-install --version
grub-install (GRUB) 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14

sudo apt-get upgrade
E: Der dpkg-Prozess wurde unterbrochen; Sie müssen manuell »sudo dpkg --configure -a« ausführen, um das Problem zu beheben.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
grub-efi-amd64 (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14) wird eingerichtet ...
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
<slowly blinking cursor, waiting now 30 minutes. How long may this take?>

dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes grub-efi-amd64 (--configure):
Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript wurde unterbrochen
dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von grub-efi-amd64-signed:
grub-efi-amd64-signed hängt ab von grub-efi-amd64 (= 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14); aber:
Paket grub-efi-amd64 ist noch nicht konfiguriert.

dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-amd64-signed

Translate:
dpkg: error processing package grub-efi-amd64 (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation-script was interrupted
dpkg: dependency problems hinder configuration of grub-efi-amd64-signed:
grub-efi-amd64-signed depends on grub-efi-amd64 (= 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14); but:
Package grub-efi-amd64 is not configured.

dpkg: error processing package grub-efi-amd64-signed (--configure):
dependency problems - stays unconfigured
error processing these packages:
grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-amd64-signed

che-ffe-muc
December 30th, 2017, 11:36 PM
upgrade system and install updates: problem solved! Thank you.
I'll create a separate thread for the dependency issue.