PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] opening whisker menu with super key killing other shortcuts

fred79
December 29th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I learned how to use the super key to open the whisker menu, but it will only work with the left or the right super not both, and it kills all my other shortcuts that use super (eg super + enter, super + left, super + D).

Is there some way around either of these problems?

here's what I did:
"Settings -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts. For the command xfce4-popup-whiskermenu, change it to the super key."

Thanks

flocculant
December 31st, 2017, 10:13 AM
shortcuts work on keypress not keyrelease - hence using the super key for whisker plugin stops other shortcuts that use super+something

super, alt, ctrl are used as modifiers - eg they modify something else

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7845

You could try this:

https://launchpad.net/~mehanik/+archive/ubuntu/ksuperkey

Not sure what version you have there - the ppa only goes to Xenial (16.04). If you are running 17.04 (you'll be wanting to upgrade that soon) or 17.10 you can edit the source file for the ppa to zesty or artful. Not sure if it works in xfce still (apparently it did), personally I'm ok with ctrl+esc for the whiskermenu.

fred79
January 1st, 2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of ksuperkey I'll test that out.

I was hoping maybe I could manually edit some file somewhere (eg wherever "keyboard/aplication shortcuts" saves its settings) , and that would give me more control like using keyrelease.
Without having to resort to installing something.

As far as using ctrl+esc
For my small hands it's a bit of a reach, and seems entirely unnecessary and inefficient when just super would do.

jaydenfernando
January 1st, 2018, 07:43 AM
Hello flocculant,
The best solution is to assign ALT+F1 to the whisker menu and then install ksuperkey. Then just hitting SUPER brings up the menu, but hitting SUPER+(key) doesn't -- it launches your application
I was hoping that this is work for your solution.